• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salmo Chubby Darter

1Buchholz1

I caught some crappies using the Orange/Dace #3 at first ice. Truth be told, I haven't been out on the lake a whole lot since mid-December, but I am going to give it a go again today on a lake I know has a decent crappie population.

All of my biggest perch and crappies this year have come on the darters.

Word of caution tho. If you are just settling down in one spot, you might want to use something else.

The only time I use them is when I am hunting and hole-hopping.

Again, only go get them if you are willing to move alot. They are great for finding aggressive fish.

I snagged a crappie on my last outing with a #4 I think. It was one step above the #3. Confirmed it was a 4. Another thing to note, these things drop FAST when you just let them sink.

This was out on a west metro lake.

cdx-ymd_300px.jpg

What kind of line are you guys using with your darters? On my budget, I wouldn't want to lose those spendy littly buggers. I get mad enough when I lose a marmooska or diamond. I am just guessing here, but I would think some super line of some sort. If so, what lb do your prefer?

Thanks,

CA

i was on mille lacs a few weeks ago. i put on the #3 hoping for some jumbos, beleive it or not i caught(not snagged) a bunch of 3" perch! they would not bite anything else. dropped down the aquaview, small perch everywhere! they would attack the c.d. wierd crazy.gif

I use 6 lb. test on all of my Darter rods. Never tie directly to the bait, use some sort of barrier. A duo-lock snap is great for adding action and letting the bait have free range of motion, it also allows for fast changes in baits or colors...

As for jigging motions, agreed, let the Vex tell you what the fish want. Mostly I use a short rip to make the bait "dart" then let it wiggle back down to taught, but I NEVER let the bait stop moving. Letting your bait come to a stand still will allow for twist and will often times make fish very suspect... I usually follow up my short rips with subtle but constant jigging or bobbing, and if nothing is in I'll rip 'er again. Move the bait up when fish come sniffing, bobbing your rod tip the entire lift.

Sitting in one spot with the Darter is actually ideal contrary to an earlier post. It's a "call" bait, and will attract fish from a distance. It's a great bait for calling in fish, and if they're negative toward the Darter, they'll often times hit your deadstick in the next hole.

Put some confidence in the bait, and you will have luck with it!

I baught a handful of them, tried them a handful of times in all the lakes i fish and never had any success.Maybe i am using the wrong colors? Could someone please tell me how to pick colors based on water clearity? I.E darker the water, darker or lighter the jig? thanks a lot

I use 8# fireline when i fish with the chubby darters but i have had very good luck with them on lots of species,though i've noticed i only catch bigger fish on them.

Here in Central NY...I use them for Waldos!

I have had great success over the past couple years with them. The first time using them was an incredible experience. I was fiahing pre light at a known Waldo spot of mine and the first drop with the Lum. Dace...a fish shot from the bottom on my Vex and HAMMERED the CD at the 10 foot range...3# Waldo grin.gif From there I was hooked. I ended up icing around 13 Waldos that morning. This year at first ice...I was catching Bull 'Gills and perch in 22 FOW. Yes...'Gills on a 2.5" Darter.

As the above post stated...always keep a little movement in the Darter as to avoid the spin!!!!!

I used one once last year that I borrowed from my brother. Seems like it would trigger a lot of pike bites. I lucked out and stumbled upon a couple #6's at Cabelas a few weeks ago that were discounted down to $2.33 a piece. So I'll be trying those for walleyes this winter, and hope to pick a couple 4's and 3's for panfish.