• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catch More Fish Out of One Hole

Matt Johnson

We’re starting to embark on the time of year where fish tend to meander more frequently. Staying on top of the fish can be very difficult at times and it seems as if we’re only catching one or two fish out of a hole before the school moves on. If this appears to be a routine trip for you then don’t loose hope. There are ways to help you catch more fish out of each hole…

Staying on top of a school of fish is oftentimes more than half the battle. If you could only get one or two more drops down before the fish move on. Then you move to the next hole in hopes that the school went in that direction but you only find an empty water column on your flasher. Sound about right? These fish need something to help them stick around and they need to obtain a certain level of comfort, especially when dealing with trophy-size fish.

MJbullgills.jpg

Adding some sort of attractor is very critical in situations like this. Dropping down something loud and flashy can sometimes draw fish in (although at times noise can be a detriment to finicky fish, so use noise more sparingly than visual appeal). Something flashy is more likely to attract fish to the area. A shiny jigging spoon or a gold or nickel jig can draw fish in. Grab their attention and then let them decide if they want to eat.

Another option is to drop down a lively minnow out of a separate hole nearby. It doesn’t have to be drastic. A simple crappie minnow can even do the trick. What this does is draw fish in and more often than not keeps them in the area. The curious fish will relate to the struggling minnow, and even though they might not be interested in eating it, they still find it somewhat appealing. Result factor being that you get more swings at that cruising school of fish.

The minnow trick can work for all species; you just might have to upsize the offering in order to entice the desired specie. Sucker minnows are great walleye and even perch attractors. Even panfish will relate to a struggling sucker or shiner minnow, so don’t neglect the fact that smaller fish will target larger prey. Again, we’re not expecting these fish to necessarily eat the offering; we just want them to be attracted by it.

Keep in mind however, that this decoy line is considered one of your two lines (if in Minnesota), so now its up to you to catch the fish with your jig rod.

Yes the minnow trick is nifty, but when I’m looking for that added punch I turn towards my artificial structure in the form of Reel Weeds. We’ve all seen its recent wave of popularity in recent years, and its no secret that these fake weeds work. Adding structure into a structure less area is worth its weight in gold during certain conditions… and if you ask me, one of those conditions is right now when we’re trying to keep the wandering school underneath us.

SOSpannies2.JPG

Dropping down a series of Structure on a String will increase your chances at keeping those schooling fish in your area. Even in areas where weeds are currently present, adding a piece of structure out of the norm with grab the fishes attention. Just look at it this way… when we see a new steakhouse open up on our favorite highway we notice it, and more often than not we soon decide to stop in for a bite. Consider that new addition of structure to be that brand new steakhouse.

Now, we’re not looking for the fish to stay there forever, all we’re looking for at this time is to have an extra swing at the ball, or even a swing at all. Instead of watching the school move, you now have more opportunities to set the hook. Even the most negative of fish will stop in to take a peek.

Fish equate green weeds with forage… forage oftentimes equates to hungry fish… and hungry fish equates to more pictures of you holding trophy fish. Even though Reel Weeds might not produce oxygen, we’re dealing with fish who do in fact believe the appeal and color are indeed real. Fish are simple creatures really. Drop something shiny down and they flock towards it. Drop something down that moves and they’ll swing in for a look. But drop something down that looks real and provides comfort… well then, you might just have found yourself a hole with more than one fish.

***Reel Weeds are designed by LaDredge Outdoors and come in several different options. To learn more about Reel Weeds and to watch underwater footage of Reel Weeds in action please visit http://www.reelweeds.com. If you're interested in purchasing Reel Weeds please visit http://www.thornebros.com.

Good information. This year I have messed around with more of that stuff rather than just hopping to a different hole, and in some cases I think I am definitely catching more fish because of it. Those tips can probably be especially helpful on the cold days when I am in a shack so I don't have to move holes as much.