• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Road Legal?

im going to build a 8x14 fishhouse with retractable wheels and i was wondering if it would be legal to drive on the roads or is it to wide and if it is to wide what is the maximum width you can make it.(i would use winches to bring the wheels up, not hydralics. Thanks, walleyemaster

My house and many others are 8' (96") with the wheels on the outside, so it's over. I have met cops and not been stopped, I just don't know if they really care. The biggest problem with going that wide is crossing planks and stuff across breakers. That's not any fun. The ideal setup would be to get your wheels the same width as the pickup.

Legal width is 102". I was told that if your in a accident and its wider than that then you are liable. If you want a 8ft house then the wheels can be put underneath and raise up inside the house. I built a 7x12 and it is alittle wider than 102. Pulls like a tank! Pulled it 350 miles last weekend and got 8mpg! Not the weight just the wind resistance it has. Gonna maybe put a V on the front to help.

As Minnesota is a farm state if you could somehow classify your fishouse as a farm implement or livestock feeder shed you could probably go up to about 16 or 18 ft. wide.

Of course you'd have to mount a slow moving vehicle sign on the back.

And as long as you had a few chickens or a pig or calf riding in there you wouldn't need a trailer licence either.