• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Landscapes in the rain

I was out with clients yesterday, and the day started out dark and rainy. It stayed dark, but those actually are perfect days to slap on a polarizer and get the slowest shutter speed possible for some cottony water shots, so we did a bit of experimenting with that. Landscapes also can be decent, with that drizzly mist adding a bit of mystery to an otherwise routine scene.

Here are a few from yesterday. All with the Canon 30D.

Emerging from darkness, Ed Shave Lake

Canon 100-400L IS at 250mm, iso200, 1/80 at f8, handheld

foggy-green-and-yellow.jpg

Moose River vignette

Canon 17-40L at 40mm, iso100, 1/25 at f5, handheld

moose-river-vignette.jpg

Little Indian Sioux River cedar

Canon 17-40L at 17mm, iso100, 5 sec at f22, hoya circular polarizer, tripod, remote shutter release, custom functions of mirror lockup and noise reducation at long exposure, repeated flash during exposure to illuminate foreground cedar. Even the flash wasn't enough for an even exposure, so I opened one image for the shadows and one for the highlights and blended them in photoshop.

OK, I could use your help here. I'm not sure whether the cedar adds to the scene or intrudes on it. What do you all think? Also, can you spot the two dust specks on the sensor in this image? The deeper your depth of field (narrower your aperture opening), the more any tiny speck on the sensor shows up in the image. Easily cloned out, but I missed them in pp. frown.gif

cedar-water.jpg

Steve nice shots. The last one is my preference. At first I liked the cedar in the shot, after looking at it some more I'm not so sure. Maybe it is detracting from the blurred water? Maybe that is what adds the color? It does tend to lead the eye out of the shot. I still really like the shot, just can't decide if the cedar belongs.

Oh and I see THREE sensor spots. One on the left of the tree and two together on the right of the tree.

Thanks, guys.

I think the cedar needs to be there, otherwise there is just fuzzy water, and in this image that alone is not enough to carry things. However, the cedar and water are both dominant elements in the image, one sharp, one dreamy, and it's possible they compete with, rather than complement, each other.

See, once you start looking for sensor spots they show up EVERYWHERE! grin.gif

They are especially numerous on the fuzzy water shots, which have lots of pale tones and whites, and of course because of the stopped down aperture. Before sending off a print order, I blow up the image 100 percent and creep through it quadrant by quadrant searching and destroying any specks.

Steve, nice shots. I think I like the 1st the best. I do like the tree in the shot but maybe would have like it more to the other side. Then it wouldn't split the water as much. JMHO

Mike

Quote:

Steve, nice shots. I think I like the 1st the best. I do like the tree in the shot but maybe would have like it more to the other side. Then it wouldn't split the water as much. JMHO

Mike

That is exactly what I was going to post. I can see where it's needed, but at the same time, don't care for it centered. Awesome photo, though.

No horizontals of this, Dan. To the left and right the water was very ugly and lots of noisy branches and such, so vertical was the only way to go.

How do you guys mean, too centered? It's well to the left of center. confused.gif Mike, do you mean you'd like to have seen it to the right of center, which would have put it leaning out of the frame? It's all good either way, I'm just not clear which positioning would seem more attractive to you. Thanks again for the help, guys. grin.gif

I always like your images, and with the reposted picture of the river, you got all four of the spots I saw.

on a side note, if you have a plasma or lcd screen and look at it from different angles so it almost looks like a negative the dust spots jump out at you.