• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question For You Guys

RiverRunner

O.K., I had a good long hour talk with my vet the other day. He is going to talk to a vet he knows at the U to get even more detail on this subject, but in a nutshell here is his answer.

Dogs do metabolize carbs... With that said, they will get most of there energy from a good high fat, high protein balanced food. You have simple carbohydrates and complex carbohydrates... they still use the simples in cases of hypo-glycemia... ie: honey or Karo syrup. These will rapidly increase the blood sugar levels and bring a dog back around. They are very short lived. Your complex carbs and fats will give a longer period of energy when out hunting.

He feels there would probably be some benefit to "energy treats". Just remember, if they are simple carbs, the energy available will be short lived... I used Cabela's Premium All Natural "Energy Supplement" the last 2 seasons. They in essence are just higher fat bisquits with some vitimins and minerals. They must get some energy from carbs as corn and wheat are in the ingredients. I'd probably do just a well if not better with some of their dog food in my pocket (no corn or wheat), but these are real handy and I am just trying to 'stack' some energy on top of what they get out of their food. I suppose they get one or two every 1-2 hours. Lots of water too... this is very important whether it's warm or cold. Maybe a good chunk of my sandwich during a quick break and off we go again. Even my old dogs were/are able to go multiple days in a row.

As I get a more detailed answer I will pass it on.

Good Luck!

Ken