• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loss of Power on '79 Evinrude

MntkaFishin

I took the boat out yesterday for the second time this spring and everything was running fine, good rpms, the boat would plane nicely, so I decided to shut things off and do some fishing for about an hour. When I started her back up I noticed that at full throttle the engine would almost bog down and the power just wasn't there(ie., the boat wouldn't plane and the rpm's weren't nearly as high). Being that I'm relatively new to boat motor maintenance and this is a rather old engine, 25 HP '79 Evinrude, I'm not sure were to start. One thing I did notice is that the motor would kind of shake, almost on que, every couple of seconds. Is there a couple of simple checks a newbie could do to try and isolate the issue? I would imagine it has something to do with either a bad plug or a compression issue.

As you mentioned I would check compression on motor, get 2 new plugs, and run a seafoam in your tank.

Read procedure on top of this page, let us know what are the reading with compression test, and we'll go from there.

Yep could be water (Add water Remover, a bad or cracked coil, fouled plug. Make sure vent on tank is open. Look around the motor for any fuel leaks or even a clogged fuel filter. I run an inline filter on the hose.

I took the boat out yesterday for the second time this spring and everything was running fine, good rpms, the boat would plane nicely, so I decided to shut things off and do some fishing for about an hour. When I started her back up I noticed that at full throttle the engine would almost bog down and the power just wasn't there(ie., the boat wouldn't plane and the rpm's weren't nearly as high). Being that I'm relatively new to boat motor maintenance and this is a rather old engine, 25 HP '79 Evinrude, I'm not sure were to start. One thing I did notice is that the motor would kind of shake, almost on que, every couple of seconds. Is there a couple of simple checks a newbie could do to try and isolate the issue? I would imagine it has something to do with either a bad plug or a compression issue.

interesting.