• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

black oilier sunflower seeds "toxic" to lawn??

goose89

I started bird watching / feeding as a hobby a year ago. I've heard a couple of times that black oiler husks that fall onto ground from birdfeeders will make soil "toxic" (meaning grass can't grow in it.) Have any if you found this to be true??

I've noticed two areas directly under my feeders that look very sparce and trampled right now. Will the grass come back up though??? I've removed alot of the husks earlier this spring.

If they do cause the soil to be too acidic / basic, is there a remedy, besides getting rid of the feeders, changing to different feed or replacing soil??

thanks in advance.

goose

good question! I only use black oil seeds for my feeder and have noticed that the seed shells tend to choke out the grass more that anything. I just get out the ol' backpack blower and scatter them and have never had any problems. The grass IS sporadic, but healthy, under the feeder. I think that it could be a combination of the "choking" effect, and also the high volume of critters working the shells for un-eaten seeds. If nothing else, try the University Extension Service, or do a search on your favorite search engine.

Choking out the grass is most likely the problem. You can get seeds that have been hulled already. Called hearts and parts. Little more expensive, although you are only paying for the food they eat and not the shells. This elininates the ground mess.