• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

woodcock dance?

MNpurple

I'm down by New Ulm and was walking in the woods today, following a long narrow slough, next to the slough a small grassy area opened up probably 50 by 75 yards wide. While walking the edge of this I flushed 5 woodcock. Now I've never seen this woodcock mating dance but this appears to be a classic area for it to take place in???

Tonight it is windy and snowing so I dont know if I am going back out but if it is nicer tomorrow, I might try and watch this spot, when would be the best time and is this a good spot to try and see the dance?

Get there 1/2 hour before dark and bring your night-vision goggles! Listen for the "peeent" (not unlike the Common Nighthawk) and their wing noise as they zoom up. I run a lot in the dark at Elm Creek park here in Champlin and have heard them for about 2 weeks. One morning, it was 15 degrees and they were still calling.

Most of the places I have heard/seen them were more open than what you describe but any grassy area might be a good spot.

I seen one doing his dance in the middle of highway 96 just west of Stillwater years ago. I got out of the truck and he was strutting around as if I was the one he was trying to impress. His move was one of 2 steps foreward and a 1 step fake step back, then foreward 1 step and repeat. (am going to break this move out next time I get fully kreusened). Looked like one of the Pips doing their soul train move. For years I heard that bussing noise and could not figure it out. Then Marty Stouffer did a show on woodcock and pointed out the noise was made by decending fast from up high. They are most active just at or after dark from my observations.