• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone been over to Michigan lately?

ccarlson

Been thinking about making a trip over to Michigan for some sledding some weekend soon. I've never been there but would be going with someone who has other years.

With the lack of snow in Minnesota, is it more crowded over there than usual? Any specifics about the silver city/porcupine mountain area would be helpful.

thanks,

ccarlson

Just got home for Michigan. Stayed in Bergland,on lake Gogebic. Riding North and west out of Bergland. When you get about 4 miles from the lake there was plenty of snow. Any closer and it got less. Traffic wasn't bad, weekends are busier though. Most trails are groomed with a few exceptions. When you get off the main trails and into the woods on logging roads there is about 18" of snow.

Kevin

Trail permits are $25. We purchased ours at the lodge we stayed at in Bergland. There are alot of other places where you can purchase permits at. Trail maps are a $2 donation to the local sled groups.

No we didn't make it to the Houghton area. We were on a quick trip in and out, rode around the bergland area while we were there. The farther west we did go from Bergland the more traffic you did see.

I just got back from my first trip to Michigan. It was really nice to see some snow!

We rode from Bergland area also. I was very impressed with the overall grooming (a few exceptions near silver city and overall late in the days after more traffic.)

I was also impressed with the sledders in the area.

I feared the worst since my 11 year old daughter was driving her own sled. She has a lot of driving experience in MN but I worry about the guys who think the trails are a speedway. The wide trails with well laid out corners set my mind at ease and all sledders we encountered were in control and respectful. We purposely stayed away from the main through trails to reduce traffic exposure.

As we got away from the main towns, the traffic wasn't bad at all. We did a mixture of trail riding, boondocking and hillclimbing. The kids got stuck a bunch of times each day which translates into a successful and fun day for them!

ccarlson