• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Converting older Hummingbird to ice fishing?

sparky88

I have found these older Hummingbird flashers on hsolist for cheap. Have any of you converted these to ice fishing with any luck? I have seen them installed on a small cooler with all the wiring and batteries installed inside the cooler and the flasher mounted on the lid. I go ice fishing about 6 times a year and can't justify a new vex. I'm what you would call "thrifty" with my money and was just wondering if the older flashers perform very well on ice?

I used my Eagle graph for ice fishing till this year I finally bought a Marcum. It is hard to get used to a flasher after 10 years of using the graph. I bought a vex battery and put it in a collapsable cooler and it worked great. YOu may not get as good as a vex or a marcum but it will be better then not having anything.

Sparky, I used a JImmy Houston Humminbird flasher for years.It worked fine except the noise would drive me crazy after awhile and I noticed batteries didn't last as long. Also will not work near any other flasher and presents some challanges as far as transducer placement.