• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 Arctic Cat 500 4X4. Who has one (or similar)?

Sonicrunch

I just bought one. It wasn't my first choice, but the deal was irresistable. Epinions.com gave it rave reviews, so I took the plunge.

So, my questions are

• 1. What years are the same generation?

2. Are the any known common problems?

3. Is there anything else I should know? This is my first four-wheeler.

I have an 02' 500. The only problem I have had with this unit is it is very hard starting below 10 above. I put in a heavier cold cranking battery and also a engine block heater, so now when I am on Mille Lacs if it is very cold I will plug it into the generator for fifteen minutes and then it starts right up. The heavier battery by itself seemed to help quite a bit. Just my 2cents worth.

Quote:

what kinda deal did you get a guy down the street from me is selling one and it is the same yr and size with only 470 miles for 3500.00

Well, Its pretty heavily used, but I got it for $1500.

(I never did look at the milage)

I have the same machine you bought. I really beat on it using it to disc food plots, it's had many, many, many, many hours of that over the last 6-7 years. In addition to discing I have some other atv implements, and I plow snow, go trail riding, mudding, hunting trips out west, ice fishing, etc. It's been solid, I've done some maintenance to it but not had much for problems. I've replaced front wheel bearings (normal with use especially in wet and mud) and a cv joint (I ripped the rubber boot and it got wet and dirty inside), and I had a nut in the transmission come loose and slip (probably due to pulling the disc). I also had a problem with overheating for a while, there was some fine silt packed into the fins on the radiator - once the screen was removed they could be sprayed out with a low pressure hose and that fixed the overheating.

Mine starts great, especially when cold. I ride a lot with a guy with a '02 rubicon and mine starts better, pulls better, and goes through mud better. The Cat is slow though, it's the slowest atv I've ever been around. Top speed is ok but it takes a long time to get there. I've never beat another atv off the line, I usually can't even keep up with the others. And the headlights are pretty poor, I've added a spotlight to my handlebars. But in terms of being a solid workhorse and standing up to everything I've subjected it to, I have only praise for it.

Good luck with your machine.