• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall 'Gills - Upper Water Column

eyepatrol

Last week Friday when it was in the mid 70's my wife and I were out fishing for 'eyes along the outside edge of a weedline in 11fow and I noticed a very large number of 'gills hanging 2'-3' down from the surface. My guess is they were taking advantage of the warmth provided by the sun and temps that day. I also found the bigger 'gills located way up shallow in 1'-2' of water.

That was the first time I had ever fished in October. Is this a common thing to see with 'gills before the fall turnover hits? The fish were very active that day too. The lake doesn't hold many big 'gills....most are in the 5"-6" range but I did catch a couple 8"ers in the shallows.

Anyway, I found it interesting to see. Typically throughout the summer months those fish are much deeper along and within the weeds, but that day they were scattered all over, suspending 2'-3' down from the surface.

Once the fall turnover hits (which might occur pretty soon), do the 'gills and crappies move to deeper water such as their early-ice locations? Will they slide into shallower water on warmer sunny days after the turnover? Curious as to what their fall movements would be.

Eric

Normally where I find my first ice panfish is where I last left them late in the colder weather.I always find gills now in the shallower water and at first ice.

You know the lake I do alot of my ice fishing on and at first ice at the not so popular landing,I will find both crappies and gills at approx 5-8fow and approx 100-150- yards from shore.

You should now know where I start my ice fishing.

On another lake last week I was finding all my fish in approx 8-12 fow.That lake I will start in the same location at first ice to start.