• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

arrow drop with broadheads?

smg04

this is my first year bow hunting and iv'e done a lot of target shooting the last few months getting ready for the season. im pretty confident shooting well up to 30 yards with my field points, im shooting easton alum gamegetter2's with my bow set at 58 lbs, but ive never shot a broadhead, my ? is what kinda drop can i expect when i screw a 3 blade head on im shooting 100grain field points so i know i should get the same grain heads, will it generally be enough of a drop that i'll have to mess with my sight pins or will i b able to just aim an inch or two higher on the killzone?

as stated, you will probably have to do a little re-sighting in with a broad head as they do fly a little different. It shouldnt be off by much.. but a few inches is not uncommon. However, there are some dont at all.. .

For me I think my broad heads were an inch low and maybe 1.5 inches left of where a field tip was at 30 yards...

Definately practice with broadheads before you go hunting. My bow shoots 6 inches lower with BH's than field points. My buddy's bow shoots right on no matter what he is using. I guess it is just the tuning of the bow. Make sure you try the heads before going out.

Deitz is the man when it comes to shooting. I agree with him 100 percent. My broadheads have always been slightly off. Some will tell you that they must shoot perfectly in tune to what your field tips - that your bow isn't perfectly tuned if not. But if you make that slight compensation when practicing with broadheads every year, why stress it too much - especially if you your arrow is flying true, that is, no fishtailing or substantial wild movements and it has a nice straight impact into the target depending on the angle you're shooting from. On that note, I went out a lunch today and am tearing a big hole in my 3d target. Had to get the yellow jacket broadhead target behind it on a bucket to catch the pass throughs. It's hunting time come Saturday morning! grin.gif

Not so sure I am the man.. LOL, but thanks for the vote of confidence...The deal with broadheads is that they are different than field tips on so many levels... #1 when they spin they can plane... or want to srat to curve when they call.. if you want to see what I am talking about, take a swim noodle and spin it and let it fall to the ground.. granted this is exagerated but this is kinda what happens with a broad head arrow. then most broad heads are longer than field tips.. which does change the FOC of an arrow... Lets just say that there is a ton going on here.. and your almost guarenteed that there has to be some change in arrow flight when you put them on.

Chucker34- Sounds lik eyour dialed in and ready for some steaks!!!.. I dont hit the woods to hard till the leaves start to change color(I'm not a huge fan of bugs).. and I am not a trophy hunter.. I just love to hunt and love the taste of deer. cool.giflaugh.gif

Iwill say this.. I am a far better target shooter, than I am a hunter... tongue.gif

Deitz is being too modest. Seriously, though, he has some great advice. I'll agree wholeheartedly about the aerodynamics involved. Would an airplane cut though wind and air the same as a missle? There has to be some disparity. Another tip for practicing with broadheads, don't lose sight of the fact that you should never aim for the same spot twice on your target unless you want to ruin an arrow. wink.gif I did that yesterday and a perfectly good new arrow down the drain. I usually place several one inch by one inch blaze orange masking tape pieces on my broad head target so I can aim for different spots.

Dietz, I am not much of a trophy hunter either. This is my second year. Got two does last year and have been enjoying the venison (cuts, snack sticks, jerky, sausage, brats) all year. Almost gone now! I'll have to admit, though, I would be very happy if a decent sized buck walked out and presented a shot. I've got lots of yearlings with four points right now and I've seriously thought about taking a shot if presented with one. But then there's the thought of, well, what if I wait until late October/early November. Problem then is, after about the opening weekend of gun season the first week of November, where in our area "if its brown its down," the deer go into hiding for the next month.

thanks everybody thats exactly the advice i was looking for, now i just have to decide on what kind of broadhead i want and pick some up, the guy at the bow shop told me my bow wasnt fast enough for a expandable bh, i read the post about those, boss bullets kinda like the look of those and havent heard anything bad about them, maybe i'll give them a try