• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

healthy, good tasting recipes

I usually batter up my fish and fry them in a frying pan with oil or butter. This tastes good but I do not like cooking in all that oil because of the calories.

I am looking for a healthier way to cook fish that still tastes good.

I have tried boiling fish but they are relatively tasteless and I am not too fond of dipping them in a bunch of butter.

Any suggestions.

As for boiling fish, There is not a healthier way to cook or eat than poaching them, What works good is to gently simmer them in a court boullion(sp) simply take one onion, two carrots, and two stalks of celery, chop and sautee in a tablespoon of oil, then add 6-8 cups of water, simmer gently for 30 minutes and add salt to taste, now add fish and cook just until done. Remove fish with a slotted spoon and mist or brush with extra virgin olive oil, or for a change of pace, serve with dipping sauce, the sky is the limit, terriyaki, sweet and sour, BBQ, honey mustard, curry, whatever you like. Very tasty, the fish will be infused with flavor from the vegetables, A whole meal can be prepared this way, add some potatoes, etc. when you add the water, and some corn on the cob about 15 minutes before adding the fish. Many seasonings work well in this method, try cajun for some real zip, herbs, bay leaf, lemon pepper, etc.

Another healthy way to prepare fish is to grill them. Just a matter of getting a grill that the fish will not fall through, or a grill pan for indoors. Serve with grilled vegetables. Some of my favorites on the grill are marinated terriyaki trout or salmon.

Baking can also be done without adding as much fat as frying.

Try using a chicken bouillon cube in your boiling water. When the fish is cut in chunks, it takes but a few minutes. Careful not to over cook as it tends to get rubbery .
With a loaf of bread , spray butter, salt , pepper, and any other spice that tickles your fancy, delicious fish sandwiches can be easily be prepared right on the ice.

11xranger

I with Coldone on Grilling filets.... I leave the skins on almost all walleye's and northern's. You can season them the way you like.I baste mine with garlic and herb soup mix with melted butter and let the filets cook on the grill.(10-15 minutes) The skins turn black but that taste never comes thru, just peel off the fish from the skin and serve with favorite beverage grin.gif
yumee

Good Luck

------------------
Fishspicermn

FMWL

11X,

Try one of these:

Poaching:

2-3c. fresh water
1-c. dry white wine or Vermouth
freshly cracked pepper and salt to taste
1-2 cloves crushed Garlic (Optional)
1-2 Bay Leaves

Heat all ingredients in a pot large enough to hold your fillets. When the liquid reaches boiling point, add fillets, cover and turn off the heat-DON"T BOIL FISH!

Fillets need 10 minutes poaching time per inch of thickness.

Let fillets stand in poaching liquid 5-10 minutes. Use slotted spoon or spatula to serve.

You can squeeze fresh Lemon juice or whatever you like on the fish.

OR

Broiled Fillets:

Tin Foil-2 pieces equal size to form top and bottom
Fish Fillets
Jullienne sliced Onion and Carrot
Fresh Parsley
1/2 Garlic Clove (Optional)
1tsp. Butter
1/4 c. Dry White Wine or Vermouth
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Place fillet on tin foil, arrange veggies on either side of fillet, add butter to top of fillet, add wine, salt and pepper, take sheet of tin foil and crimp edges of foil together to seal ingredients.

Cook in 400 degree oven or on the grill appx. 10-15 minutes, don't turn over while cooking.

------------------
Chells