• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fried dough

i am originally from ny and am looking for a recipe to make fried dough. they don't sell pizza dough around here. i have even stopped at a few pizza places around here and bought some of there "pizza" dough. tastes like regular bread dough. please help

bambam, I'm not exactly sure what your refering to but here's a recipe for Chippewa Indian Fried Bread. It's pretty good.

2 1/2 c All-purpose flour
1 1/2 tb Baking powder
1 t Salt
3/4 c Warm water
1 tb Vegetable oil
1 tb Nonfat dry milk powder
Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
Cinnamon sugar

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
Combine water, oil and dry milk powder and stir into flour mixture until smooth dough forms.
Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
Knead 4 times into smooth ball.
Cover and let rest 10 minutes.

Divide dough into 8 balls. Flatten with fingertips or roll out each ball to form 8- to 10-inch round. Make small hole in center of each with finger or handle of wooden spoon. Lightly flour rounds, stack and cover with towel or plastic wrap.

Heat about 1 inch oil to 375 F in large skillet. Gently place 1 bread round in hot fat and cook until golden and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough. Serve bread hot or at room temperature, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.

[This message has been edited by Kidd (edited 11-30-2002).]

thanx, i'll give it a shot. people from rome, ny where i'm from will know what it is. i try to tell people here in sd about it and they think i'm nuts. i'll let you know how it turns out here

Bambam, Call it fry bread and the South Dakotans will know what your talking about. You NYer's just talk funny so we don't understand grin.gif

You can use regular frozen bread dough that has risen too. Just roll it in cinnimon and sugar when its browned.

Capt'n

[This message has been edited by Capt'nJosh (edited 01-13-2003).]