• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recurves and hunting

Gordie

I am currently researching recurves, specifically making your own. I think I want to try and hunt with one- every thing from the bow to the arrows hand made. I think that would be more rewarding...

I shoot a 50# Browning Nomad Stalker Recurve. I put the good old whisker silencers on it and it is pretty quiet. I have never heard of using a release with a recurve but that doesnt mean that it can't be done; maybe check with an archery shop.

tealitup, I have a friend in Illinois who makes long bows and wood shaft arrows; beautiful stuff. I havent had a chance to try ether but my father-in-law shoots the wood arrows with his Pearson recurve... they fly as true as any carbon/compound set up that I have seen. Plus like you said, it would be very rewarding to hunt with somthing that you made.

Check out Trad Gang for more answers.

From what I have heard, there are a few folks that use a release with a recurve but I think that using a release would require different spined arrows than when shooting with fingers.

There are lots of "Traditional" shooters, using recurves and longbows for hunting. More and more every day. I hope to harvest a deer this year with mine if I decide that I can shoot well enough consistently to take it to the woods. I missed a jake turkey at 10 yards in Nebraska this spring with the recurve when my top limb hit the inside of the ground blind I was in and the arrow kicked high. Aaargh. Would have been my first "Trad" kill!

Traditional archery, especially shooting Instinctive, without sights, is a challenge for sure and takes a lot of practice to get good. Obviously, it's not impossible, just takes a commitment of time. Really makes you feel good when you get in the zone and start hitting where you are looking. The more practice I do, the longer the "zone" lasts. Check out Trad Gang for more info and oodles of "you can do it"'s.

thanks to all who replied. Tombow yes I know what you mean by good feeling when your in the zone. I got that this afternoon while practicing I just hope that zone stays with me thru deer hunting. Sorry to hear about that turkey . I've not shot a deer with a bow yet so I'm going to challenge myself this year. thanks for the info