• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lottery Area?

chucker34

Got the new regs today and it looks like I will be in a lottery area instead of a managed area this year. If I'm reading the regs right, bonus permits are out so I pretty much need to get an all-season license to take more than one deer by archery. But the all-season license would give me one buck tag and two antlerless tags if I purchase it. If I'm reading the regs right, I could use them all three tags duing the archery season. However, if I wanted to use one of the antlerless tags during a firearms season, I'd have to apply for the lottery permit and be drawn successfully? I plan to e-mail the DNR tomorrow but am I understanding the all season license in the lottery area correctly?

I like the fact the DNR is doing some specific "micro managing" every year, but dang, its tough to get the real scoop.

This year I went from zone 4(area 411) to zone 2. I thinks I gots some learnin to do.........

To answer your question,,,, I have no idea... I am in the same boat.

But seriously, it is nice to see the area specific management versus whole zone management. So it may be confusing, but in the end the entire herd is benefiting.

If I read the regs right you can use all 3 tags for one season (archery) but you can only shoot 2 anterless and then the 3rd has to be a buck. If you hunt archery, firearm and muzzleloader you can shoot all 3 anterless as long as they aren't all 3 taken by the same method.

I believe that you have to be drawn for an anterless tag in a lottery zone to tag a deer with a firearm even with an Allseason license. If you aren't drawn then you just have your buck tag to use. But you can take an anterless deer in a lottery zone using archery or muzzleloading.

I'm in the same boat as BLB, went from zone 4 to zone 2 and have some question's about it. The longer hunting season will be nice but is it now a rifle area or still all slug?? Guess I will have to email the DNR and find out.

Thanks Xedge. That is the way I understand the regs as well but shot off an e-mail to the DNR this morning. We'll see what they say.

And I agree BLB, I think its a good sign zones and area types change. It must mean they're keeping an eye on numbers and trying to manage right. My home area - Kandiyohi County was basically split into two areas for this reason - from all 4 into the lower half being 4 and the upper half being 2.

Well, the DNR got back to me and said I could only take one deer by archery with the all-season license - unless I was drawn for an antlerless in the lottery. Then I could take two but only one antlerless. See their response below:

"Firearm license-417 or any other lottery area, one buck only, unless you get drawn in the antlerless lottery, then you can the tag either a buck or antlerless deer, but only one deer.

All season license-417 or any lottery area one buck and if successful in the lottery draw can fill one of the antlerless tags with an antlerless deer. Total deer harvest in a lottery area one buck and one doe if successful in the antlerless lottery.

Archery or Muzzleloader license-417 or any other lottery area, one deer of either sex.

Hope this helps. Kevin"

BUT, then I reread the Archery section of the big game regs again and found this gem. I'd tend to think this is correct and am going to get my all-season license this month so I can take one buck and two does should I be lucky enough.

"LOTTERY DEER AREAS

Archery hunters can take a deer of either-sex in the lottery deer areas listed on page 69. All-season hunters may take up to three deer during the archery season but only two can be antlerless. Bonus permits are not valid in lottery deer areas."

Okay. Spoke with another guy on the phone at the DNR. Remember, the first guy was adamant you could only take one buck unless you drew for an archery lottery permit. The second guy was really helpful and told me you can take three deer with the all-season license - but only two of them in the lottery are (one buck and one doe). The other doe tag has to be filled in a management or intensive area.

Confusing? I think so. grin.gif But at least this guy was very helpful and nice.

They can certainly make things confusing, eh? When I was selling licenses as an ELS agent, I had frequent discussions with my neighbor and local CO about the different license options and permutations. The all season license is a good value, but some of its explanations are confusing.

with the new changes, they are getting closer to simply stating: buy a tag...shoot a deer...simple and straightforward.

I see our zones are split now...412/413 have been split with the northern half moved into zone 2.

So glad I won't have to deal with all the new explanations behind the license counter this fall!

good luck.

Chucker, you had me concerned when you talked about Kandiyohi county being split into zones 4 and 2 so I went out to the DNR regs. They actually split zone 417, not Kandiyohi county. Heres what the regs say:

------------

Deer areas 417 and 418 have been split along Highway 55. The area north of Hwy 55 has been moved to Zone 2 and renumbered 218. The area south of Highway 55 remains in Zone 4 and retains number 417.

--------------

Thanks for the clarification BlackJack. Was making a blanket or incorrect statement I guess.

I actually placed one more call to the DNR today as I was feeling a little confused still - mainly because I had gotten three different answers from two people I spoke with there. I got another person this morning who told that indeed, you can take 3 deer by archery in a lottery area - one buck and two does - IF you buy the all-season license. She said they were getting a lot of flack/confused calls about this particular topic - archery bag limit in lottery areas. But it's 3 deer, one buck and two does IF you buy the all-season license. Otherwise, its just one buck or doe and no bonus permits allowed.