• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whitetail Hunt

Grandee

Assuming you would like to shoot a buck, about your only option would be to send in an application for a West River Deer tag. There are massive public hunting areas west of the Missouri River for people to hunt. And sometimes (if you knock on enough doors) you can find some private land as well.

Don't be fooled by the term "public" hunting areas. These aren't plots of 80 acres. They are massive.

Give the SD GFP office a call. They can send you information about some of these areas. 605-773-3485

I have never hunted W. River, but living in SD, I have a good idea of what it's like. I have several friends who make the trip out west each year.

From what I hear, the whitetail population in western SD is much lower than Eastern SD. However, the deer quality is pretty good. My friend and his bro have made the trip twice bagging one trophy each year. The deer are different than the corn fed bucks we see around here. The racks don't seem to be quite as thick and the deer don't weigh as much.

Like I said though, I have never been out there myself, so maybe another SD guy can help us out here...

Give the gfp a call and tell them what you're looking for. They are usually helpful.

Good Luck!

Well, I guess we view WR hunting as a little different...I'm lucky enough to have access to abou 40,000 acres of private land, and the whitetails I've seen are at least the size of the ones that I'm taking in Iowa, but I'm also just west of Pierre, they're silage/winter wheat/alfalfa fed deer. The mulies are beautiful with potential for trophies, but we're strictly meat hunter. I live in IA now and get an anterless tag and hunt with my folks yet. I've never hunted the public land, but we had guys where I used to live in NE SD go every year and come back with beautiful bucks.

Selmer

Thanks for the input Selmer, I've heard good things about the NE region. I just got to take the time and find a good area to go. Iowa's got to be pretty fun place to hunt. Great potential for a monster buck. I'll shoot a doe every year, trying to balance the heard a little. I haven't shot a buck in a few years, trying to find a 140 plus class---letting the little ones grow. Good luck and thanks again.

If you are going to hunt whitetail deer the NE part of the state is a great place to look. If you are looking to shoot a deer and are looking to get permission on private land talk to the GFP ask who the CO is in the area you are looking to hunt in. GIve them a call they will have an idea as to which farmers are wanting to thin their deer herd. A few phone calls and a hand shake before opening day could get you more land to hunt than you could imagine.