• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

River Crappies This Weekend?

Ebiz

Thinking about hitting the river for some crappies this weekend around Stillwater. Where should I start looking, not asking for specific spots - just approximate depths, structures, etc. Are they still out in deeper water or have they moved shallow? Focus on main river or back channels? Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

You know, I just started tinkin' around in rivers last year. Fished mostly for walleyes and smallies. Tries to find pannies, but never could. Where are they? Do they spread out during summer and then bunch up in the spring? If that's the case, I might just have to give the river panfish thing a go....

I began dabbling for river crappie the last few years in the Mississippi. Never early in the year so I can not say for sure where is best this time. However, I can advise as to where I have found the 14-17" monster pigs in the river. Any drainage area that has calm water, some depth, and structure. The other area is the fallin over hanging trees. If you can see the branches in the water and it light current these are great places as the crappie stage in the structure and just wait for food to come to them. For early season if you could find back water or pooled up warm water with muddy bottem that would be good area as well