• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

foot injury, what can I do

Ryan_V

My best friend Jake (GSP) stepped on something that took a chunk out of one of the pads on his front feet. the bleeding has stopped, but now he is limping on it pretty good. I'm assuming the lost tissue will grow back, but what can I do to help him out?? I've been pouring peroxide on it too keep infection out, but what else can I do??? any ideas or suggestions??

thanks

DO NOT keep debriding the wound with peroxide! It will further damage the tissue... Only use peroxide once to clean it. There are pad products available to help toughen and heal up the wound. Your vet should carry these. If it's real deep you may want to take him in and get an antibiotic anyways.

Good Luck!

Ken

I would also keep an eye on the bleeding. Those pads can stop bleeding then start back up again even if the dog just walks around. And bleed terribly. I was once dog sitting a friends lab while they were on Vacation. I came home from work, opened the garage door and it looked like a murder site. The dog tried to jump out the back window and cut off a piece of her pad. The Vet gave me some ointment and had me change bandages twice a day. Needless to say, when they called to check on the dog, I had to tell them and my buddies kids were pretty upset with me for a while.

Hey Labs, have you used that product Tuf-Foot before? And if so does it work well? I've never really had regular issues with my dogs feet so I haven't used it before. But when I go out to Montana pheasant hunting they have these prickly pear thorns that I always worry about. First time I was out there I bought boots. Put them on my dog and he laid on his side and didn't get up for ten minutes. He acted like I had just cheated on him with another woman. Had to actually get a forcefull voice to get him on his feet. That was after me and my buddy stopped laughing so hard.

I've ued 2 different products, both seem to work well...

Pad Coat (spray)

Mushers Secret (wax)

My buddy used a product last year and I'm thinking it might have been tuf-foot... I just can't remember for sure. We use some form of a pad product now for our late season hunts as the frozen sunflower stubble really razes he!! with their feet. I think most of these products work fairly well.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have used gauze completely wrapped with duct tape as a bandage on my Golden before. It seemed to stay on the foot the longest, resisted his chewing and pulling.

Check it & change it every day if you do this. Paw pads do heal up nicely.