• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early-ice Whitefish?

Roughfisher

Roughfisher -

In fishery surveys of Whitefish all fall (up until early November) we were seeing lots of whities up on the weedflats adjacent to drops into the deep basin. After dark, they were cruising up in 1 to 3 feet. Even though they're purported to spawn over gravel / hard bottom areas, we almost never saw fish there, but rather swimming above coontail fields.

So I guess all this is to say that I'd look for 'em in some of the same shallow areas as at late ice, particularly in Whitefish, where D.O. levels remain high all winter.

On a separate note, I also know of a group of well-known anglers who fish them suspended-- 10 to 20 feet down-- over deeper water inside of soft-bottomed bays (this is on Ten Mile Lake). They fish live crappie minnows almost exclusively. I like the minnows, too, but have found that on some days they absolutely ignore livebait in favor of a little spoon, or a bladebait, such as a Reef Runner Cicada (small size). If you've never tried this bait, it's a real goodie for whitefish. Enjoy your fishing-- and let me know if/when you plan to go.

-a friend called Toad

Quote:

Roughfisher -

In fishery surveys of Whitefish all fall (up until early November) we were seeing lots of whities up on the weedflats adjacent to drops into the deep basin. After dark, they were cruising up in 1 to 3 feet. Even though they're purported to spawn over gravel / hard bottom areas, we almost never saw fish there, but rather swimming above coontail fields.

So I guess all this is to say that I'd look for 'em in some of the same shallow areas as at late ice, particularly in Whitefish, where D.O. levels remain high all winter.

On a separate note, I also know of a group of well-known anglers who fish them suspended-- 10 to 20 feet down-- over deeper water inside of soft-bottomed bays (this is on Ten Mile Lake). They fish live crappie minnows almost exclusively. I like the minnows, too, but have found that on some days they absolutely ignore livebait in favor of a little spoon, or a bladebait, such as a Reef Runner Cicada (small size). If you've never tried this bait, it's a real goodie for whitefish. Enjoy your fishing-- and let me know if/when you plan to go.

-a friend called Toad

Thanks Toad, will do. I wonder if we would do better even shallower than we were fishing ... we were in about 10-14 feet of water. Maybe it would be worth a try at 3-6 feet? Fishing the north side by where Heath's spear shacks were out last year.

Yep, I know the spot-- fished (and speared) in that area in the past. Lots of whitefish around-- I've seen lots of them under the darkhouse, usually individual fish or small pods of two to three. You know, sightfishing wouldn't be a bad idea inside one of those houses-- whities are pretty sneaky about sipping and spitting without being detected.

I'm sure you could find fish shallower, too, just need to move around more, which is a good idea in any event. We've run a D.O. meter in March late ice up in the shallows out there, and consistently found up to 12ppm-- easily enough oxygen to support whitefish.

Quote:

I'm sure you could find fish shallower, too, just need to move around more, which is a good idea in any event.

OK, now this brings up a question. When to move? How do you know if you're in a good spot or not? So far, we've just found a spot with scattered weeds and lots of baitfish and sat there waiting for them to come through. We've only been able to get 2-3 per day, with two guys fishing. Every trip we have caught all of our whitefish out of just one hole.

Roughfisher-

When you're fishing shallow water-- at least in my experience-- it's best to employ an underwater camera, and just keep popping holes and looking around down there until you spot a fish or two slowly swimming along above the weeds. Of course, you at least want to pick a weed flat that borders a deepwater section. And better still, find a flat that extends well into the basin, or one that lies near a narrows area between two lake basins. Seem to almost always find whitefish in these areas.

So the thing I'd suggest is, don't set up camp until you've at least spotted a few whities in the area-- either with sonar or a camera. Or if you don't have these tools, just keep popping holes and moving down the length of the flat-- say a new hole every 5 to 10 minutes.

Got one more tip for you as well . . . shoot me an email when you get a chance.

-Toad