• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New crappie regs?

juggs

While getting minnows in a bait shop recently, I overheard the cashier asking a person buying a license one of the mandatory questions written by the DNR. This is how it went: "Would you be in favor of closing crappie fishing during the spawn?" I had two immediate reactions. The first had to do with hitting the ceiling. The second was more along the lines of, it was just a matter of time. Is it just me, or is the DNR sometimes too concerned about being hyer-regulatory? It wasn't that long ago that they lowered the limit of crappies from 30 to 15, then later to 10 (and there was even talk of lowering it to six at that time). Although I do wonder why the limit was so high in the first place, the DNR itself will tell you that lowering limits only has a significant impact if they are reduced by quite a bit. How they define quite a bit I don't know. But getting back to the primary issue.....As mostly a crappie angler, I don't really see a shortage of them in this state, either in numbers or size. The metro may be an exception but I do hear from enough fisherman that they are getting fair numbers of both in and around the metro. But here's my main argument--walleye opener occurs about the time the crappies move into their spawning areas and start setting up shop. Guess what most fisherman in this state are thinking of from then on? I ALWAYS fish for crappies on opening weekend and hardly ever find myself with any competition unless I decide to pick up some walleyes. In other words, the number of fisherman going after crappies during their spawning season is not proportional to the number of fisherman on the water at that time. I realize our crappie fishing would probably improve if the DNR were to do this. How much is subject to debate since fish populations tend towards balancing themselves out anyway. From my academic and-on-the water experience, it seems as though the key to a healthy fish population lies more in the predator/prey relationship as well as food and habitat availability then it does with angling pressure. So my question, which is really more of a statement of opinion and a call to get your attention is this. Is it really worth whatever increase in the quality of fishing to put a season on crappies? After all, they are one of the few game species remaining that we CAN fish in the spring. Coupled with what I said earlier about the apparent abundance of them doesn't make much sense to me. I would definitely be willing to give the powers that be by opinion on this if it goes to debate.

This was hacked out a while ago. They are not proposing new regs....just trying to get a feel for what the general opinion amoung anglers is. Having spoke with a DNR biologist not long ago regarding this garbola, he indicated that not much positive feedback has come back to the study team.

This might better if moved to the outdoor politics forum....we'll see.

Don't kid yourself, Tom. They aren't asking questions for nothing. I sure hope they don't make rules entirely by public opinion. But if they do, it's comforting to hear that the feedback has been negative.

This questioning may be a beginning, but they would still have to do the public discussions . How would you like to be the official sitting in on that? Remember, this is a state department. That equates to the love for $$$$. What do you think the first thing the state would lose if they optted for something this stupid? It should be public record which employee of the month thought up something of this nature. I say wwe find out and get it fired.

If you're asking me if they're capable of doing something this stupid, my answer is easily "yes." Look at bass season as a perfect example. They close it off until just about the exact time the bass start to spawn. Does that make any sense at all? With that kind of "logic," I wouldn't be surprised at all if they seriously consider closing down crappie fishing.

I am new to this forum, been fishing crappies forever. Just my view, most of the lakes I have fished, any season, there are more of them and they are smaller. The DNR needs to look at the limit. I think they are stunting. In Green lake on the Chisago chain they have had a 9" slot for years, good luck catching one over 9". I bet you could catch 300 crappies in a half day there. They are all the same size, 6-7". I don't keep many fish, mostly catch and release. But I do like to catch big crappies. The past few years the big ones seem to be getting few and far between.