• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sunnies

Nuts4Fishin

Hey Guys-new to posting but have been reading for a couple of years now. Great site. We just bought a cabin on a lake I haven't fished before (Brainerd area) and am looking for advice on where to best look for the sunfish this time of year. The lake is mostly 15-20 feet deep with the occasional deeper hole. The neighbor pointed to the bullrush shoreline where they've caught them in the spring but doesn't really target them now. Should I be working in the shallow 6-8 range, up in the bullrush or in the 15-20ft? Any help would be appreciated.

Nuts....Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com! Great to have a new name with us!

The trend has been weeds. We should be seeing more fish moving towards the shallower water too. I think I'd try starting just outside of the 9 foot water and tight to weeds if there are any there. On darker days we've been seeing the fish pretty much in the eight to 10 foot water, mud bottom and no weeds. Sunfish like the deepr stuff and the crappies are coming a couple feet up from bottom.

Again....welcome aboard!

Yep, I'd definitely work the weeds right now for the sunfish. Find the deeper weededge and work your way in. You might even have to look for pockets in the weeds and get in a little sight fishing smile.gif From the sounds of it, you have a shallow water lake on your hands and I'll bet those bigger sunfish are in shallows right now.

What's the pike population like out there? How about the water clarity?

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

The water clarity seems to be very good. I put the camera down in the 20ft spot and could see a long long ways. There wasn't any noticeable weeds there just alot of downed timber with the floor looking pretty barren. Due to auger malfunctions I couldn't drill any more holes in the shallows at the time but will do that next time. Bottom line--drill till I find the weed growth no matter the depth and work my way in? Is that the recommendation?

If you can find some thick timber down there on the break between deep and shallow, I'd be snooping very carefully around that if a cold front comes thru. Look to find the fish in the deepest water tight to the woods. Real tight.

I'd hit the timber as well right now too. Weeds are good, but always necessary. I'm assuming it's a mud/muck bottom in the shallows?

Shallow water lake with nice clarity and a lot of timber, sounds like a decent bass lake too? Any lilypads sprout up during open water?

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson