• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gill question

Dan Thiem

I have a question for everyone.

I got into some nice ones Saturday. Every one that was caught come out a lite peach color with pale yellow sides. But after they sat on the ice for a while (kept a few for dinner) they would change color. They would darken up and get dark stripes like a perch has. Any ideas why? I know trout I have caught will lose their color, but these actually gained colors.

Dan- Most all fish have the ability to change color to match thier surroundings. Many times during the year in bass tounaments you catch a fish and put it in your livewell they will change colors. Panfish do the same thing. I believe its a reaction to the light above the ice. From what I have seen Smallmouth will even change colors while you are reeling them in. Seen in on Mille Lacs many times. Hook a fish and in the 15 seconds it takes to reel them in they turn almost black.