• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

haveing troubles

Dano2

I cant seem to find them dang big blue gills and crappies (average size) I was catching so much of last year.

Last year I was nailing them in about 22' and if you weren't getting much action it only toook a move of about 50-75' radius, or so (rough estimate) but generally in the same depth. This year I've been out to this lake about 4 times now, and have fished from 18-23' within about a couple hundred yard radius and in between, and NOthing, just abunch of peskey perch. I've been useing everything that worked last year as far as jigs, bait etc. etc., and have even thrown in a few new things to try.

Could it be that they are just not in this area this winter, or maybe just not there YET? I think it was around the end of January until the end of Ice season last year, when I was haveing good luck.

Could it be they follow a certain pattern, and will make their way out to this area? or perhaps just somewhere else in the lake, and thats basically where they will mostley be all winter.?

Its not a huge lake, and its fairley clear, butI noticed not as clear as last year, as I could actually make my jig out looking down the hole last year, but not this year. The area I was cathing them was also abit of a lrage flat area, that was in the 22-23' range.

Its very frustarting because I this year is the first time I want to take my 4 year old out, because I know he'd get a kick out of catching them, but I want to make sure I have'em located first. oh well, if niothing else, I can take him to my other favorite pond to catch some nice jumbo perch.

thanks

Oh, by the way, what is this Euro I've heard people talk about, is it better than waxies, or just something else I could throw at'em

This winter has been a unique one so far and I've noticed some of lakes that I regularly fish are experiencing different patterns. I wouldn't worry too much, the fish are still around, just roaming more. I've found that fish are less likely (atleast the bull gills) to hold in one spot as long this winter. The fish seem to really like to cruise in pods and hug the bottom. I would also check shallower. The shallow water bluegill bite is good for me right now. I haven't fished bluegills in deeper then 13 feet this year yet.

Euro larva are your typical spike type of maggot. Smaller then wax worms and they stay on the hook a lot better. Euro larva can come in different colors too, like red, orange, blue, cream... I prefer euro larva over wax worms, but wax worms also have their time and place. Right now I've been doing well on a size 10 or 12 jig tipped with a single euro larva.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

That one was my personal best at 17 3/4 inches that weighed 3 pounds 3 ounces...

Give that shallower spot a try and let us now how you did. I would also use some sort of light bite strike indicator like a spring bobber of noodle rod of some sort. Those gills can bite pretty light...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson