• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Saying goodbye...

Blaze

To all of the people that have posted here and have lost a friend, my condolences. I read all the posts and I don't mind telling you that I sit here with tears running down my cheeks.

We lost our little friend Tuesday night, Spikey had been a member of our family for 16 years, our daughter grew up with him.

Spike was'nt a hunting dog, but he was our dog and he was fearless! A cross between a Cocker and a Poodle, he would defend his territory, protect ours, and fight anything that dared to trespass, be it a rabbit, another dog, or an uninvited human.

Like with all things, time claimed Spikey...his bright eyes grew cloudy, his hearing left him, his muscular body grew bony and frail as his strength diminished.

One thing that never left Spikey was his pride, he did'nt know he could'nt do the things he had always done, he had a strong spirit, he was still a pup at heart and he maintained that pride right to the end, he never gave up, his proud ailing heart would'nt let him, we had to help him.

We thought we were going to lose him the day before Christmas, but with help from the kind vet at Coon Rapids Emergency service, Spikey made it through the holiday season

and into the new year....it was borrowed time, we knew it, but you never want to accept it.

We know he had lived a long life, we knew that we helped him when he needed it most, but it does'nt make it any easier, there is an empty space in our home, and in our hearts, Tuesday we lost a cherished family member.

Your eloquent post shows the love you had for Spikey, and that in itself is a perfect tribute to your pet! Even when we can see the end looming, it has never made our "task" easier. Know well that your spikey will be waiting for you, with his youthful body and spirit!

Good luck!

Ken

Quote:

Thanks guys. I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. The house sure seems empty with her not being there...

On a lighter note, right after Sadie passed away, my 7yo daughter was crying and crying saying "I don't want Sadie to go" when she completely stopped for a second, cocked her head, looked at me and said "We are gonna get another dog, aren't we Dad?" I replied, "Let's not talk about that right now". Her reply was a jerky boo-hoo/talking combo of "O-o-o-o-k-a-a-a-y." It was actually pretty funny.

Hey Blaze..... sorry to hear about your dog. I can relate completely. Cancer took took my dog, Bailey, about a year and a 1/2 ago. Man, what a sad day! Our family, especially the kids, were crushed. It was so quiet around the house for 3 days, I couldn't take it anymore, so went out and surprised them with a new pup, who we named Casey. He is a great dog, and provided a welcome distraction to a very sad family. My kids still talk about Bailey, and she still has her own christmas decoration, and stocking, that my wife hangs up during the holiday season. I know... kinda sappy, but it is hard to lose your best 4-legged friend!

Hi Grebe,

Although we have never met, I feel almost like I know you just from reading some of your posts.

I am truly sorry to hear of the loss of your family member. I also had to walk away from the computer a few time after reading these replies.

I hope if dogs do go to heaven then you and Spikey meet up again.

It's ironic how we all know that we will all out live our beloved dogs but yet we seem to think they will be around for our whole lives. Too bad they don't.

I hope you will feel better soon.

Dan.

I lost my chocolate lab almost one year ago to the date. It one of the worst days of my life. But I know she will be waiting there for me when its my turn to go up there. My thoughts are with all of you who have lost a four legged buddie!!

I want to thank you fellas for the consideration. We will miss Spike forever, but we are not alone in this boat..a dog is a special animal and anyone that has lost their true friend, feels the same pain in their hearts. Thanks again.