• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catchcover sleeve

TV BOY

Question

I saw at the ice show that they make a white sleeve. Any suggestions if one color would be better than another.

Also, has anyone had good luck cutting regular pails--do they keep the air out as well?

6 answers to this question

Quote:

I saw at the ice show that they make a white sleeve. Any suggestions if one color would be better than another.

Also, has anyone had good luck cutting regular pails--do they keep the air out as well?

I use the white buckets that I purchased from the local bakerys for $1.00 apiece. The white sleeve will reflect the light better and give you better visability in the holes.

These work perfect in the catch cover holes. I have different lengths for snow conditions when I lower the house. I cut the top rim off with a linoleum knife so that you have the handle just below the rim that is left, this leaves about a 1" lip above the hole.

I use the table saw to cut the bottoms off, that does a nice even job.

Purchase foam weatherstrip tape at fleet (1/2" x 3/4" wide x 17' long and stick it just under the top rim twice so that it's 1 1/2" thick below the rim, this will totally seal the top of the sleeve and keep it straight in the holes.

Ron

great idea with the weather stripping! After reading that I think I might try the bucket idea this season and see how it goes.

Hmmmmm...Now I need something else for my christmas list confused.gif

Another option is to cut a square or round piece of carpeting to a size larger than your fishhouse hole opening then cut a round hole in this carpeting the size of your bucket. Slide the carpet up to the lip of the bucket. This provides a good wind block that's forgiving to ice chunks. etc.