• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Heater/Cooker sounds like a trumpet!! HELP!!

Moose-Hunter

Question

Howdy All....

I hooked up my Mr. Heater/Cooker to a 20lb tank and lite her up today (just for the heck of it) and it's make a sound like a trumpet. It's LOUD too!! shocked.gif I figured it would go away after a bit of warm up.... NOPE!! It just sits there and plays it's very annoying tune. This has got to stop!!

What can I do? confused.gif

Signed... Going deaf in the Otter

11 answers to this question

This unit is two or three years old. I turned the thing off and on a bunch of times. Re-lit the heater and still no joy. Sounds like Herb Albert trying to tune up and doing a really bad job of it.

I'm running out of ideas with this little thing. It's too simple of a device to not be able to fix. BUT... I'm about ready to chuck it and buy a new one.

Anyone else?

Mine's been doing that for three years. It goes through 3 or 4 frequencies until it warms up and then it quits. I can actually see the shroud around the burner vibrate. Figured it was doing it because it's an old heater and parts of the shiny shroud are not so shiny any more...remember physics - different rates of expansion. The molecules are goin crazy until they all get to the same temp.

I've had mine since 1989 and it started to hum about 8 years ago. Tried everything and gave up. It only hums for a about a minute after you first light it than is quiet. My buddy and I laugh everytime I light it. If I get a new one I won't have anything to blame when I get skunked!

Well folks, thanks for the help, but I give up. After a whole lot of putzing, this thing still makes noise. I tried a full 20lb tank, a new 1lb can, Even swapped out the thermocoupler with one off a functional heater/cooker... mad.gif Nada. Still constantly loud!!

I off to buy a new heater. I may keep fiddling with the old one. Maybe I'll get lucky. As soon as I get it down out of the tree that is... blush.gif

One of mine does the same thing. I just put my fingers over the air intake for about 2 or 3 seconds and it quits. Just be sure to not be standing above it because it does give off a flame above the head unit while your fingers are there. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of time until it gets warm. This unit has done this for about 3 years now.

According to the owners manual you should not attempt to adjust the heater yourself.

But if the Hi-Med-Low-Off knob should fall off you will see there is a allen screw under it. (I THINK) This is the pressure adjustment that you should not attempt to adjust on your own.

My Mister Heater made noises intermittently and there never really seemed to be a difference between Hi and low. I adjusted the screw SLOWLY while the heater was running and the problem was solved.

AGAIN THIS IS NOT recommended. but it worked for me.

My mr heater/cooker is 15 years old and has done that since I got it.I do what Jeff does. I just put my fingers over the air intake for a second. sometimes it takes a couple times but it does go away. I just tell my buddies that it is calling the fish over.