• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Stands - Traditional vs Climber

bgfish00

Question

Now that the season is about over, I have been thinking of converting form my traditional Portable to a Climber. Can anyone speak to the advantages and disadvantages. Also any recommendations for reasonable climber would be nice.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

I have hunted witn every type of portable stand made in the last 15 years. I held back from buying a climber for 4-5 years thinking I would not find a tree in the right spot. I bought one two years ago and love it. I think it sets up faster,is very quiet sits great,easy to get up and down the tree and feels very safe.I bought a hunters view on sale for 100 bucks on sale and works as good as my buddy 275 model. Very rarely do I usa anything other than maybe my ground blind. laugh.gif

I have several reg stands out right now with climbing sticks, but I usually go to my climber, as I did this morning. It is an API grand slam bowhunter and IMO is the most comfortable stand I have ever hunted out of. It has a sling seat, which I will never buy another stand without, and is very solid and quiet. A climber might work up a little sweat on you getting up, but it doesn't matter how tall or short you are you can always position the platform so your knees are in the most comfortable position.

Happy hunting.

I too only used traditional strap on stands up untill this year. Thinking along the same lines as you that there just are not enough trees out there that are limbless for climbing stands to use. I did this year take the plunge and get a Summit Viper X4. My eyes are open now. There are still places where they won't work, and I still have strap on stands for those places. But if I can, I am taking the climber. The main reason.. confort. That climber stand is 10 times more confortable than any strap on stand I have ever sat in. Hands down, I can sit twice as long in confort, and that is important!