• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Searching for eyes in a highland resevoir

keeper

I am a newbie to the site and have only fished for walleyes for 2 years now. I am fishing Lake Fontana in Western N.C. and have had moderate results at finding the eyes. There are no weeds, only rock walls, rock points, and red clay points. Normally 45 degree banks. Nite crawlers/jig and trolling have done well up to end of August. After that, zip! Only caught 3 keepers on chartruese spoons last weekend at 60 feet on a rocky point. Will they go deeper and stay there? Water 63.9 degrees last Sat. What strategy can I use?

To keep it simple find out what they're eating,where they're eating, and when they're eating and try to copy that. There are lots of other factors involved but that's a start.

Walleyes will go as deep as it takes to get to their food supply as long as there is sufficent O2.

I envy you, it will be at least 6 months before I fish in 60 degree water again.

Run up the creek arms - baitfish head there as water cools and walleyes will follow. We catch walleye in very shallow water in the fall up here in MN and I'm sure you can there. Longline troll Husky jerks/Bomber long A/Rattlin Rogues or even cast. Spinner rigs should work too since you don't have to deal with weeds. I fished Fontana once and we did OK doing that. You ever try James?? That lake was better walleye water for me - don't know if it is still producing. I moved back to MN six years ago.

Thanks to Mark Stanley and gunflint for the reply. I sometimes find it hard to keep the bait in mind when I know there should be fish on a spot. All year we have seen schools of threadfin shad being hit hard by the smallies and walleye. They are much less abundant now and harder to find this time of year. But as you say; that is where the eyes will be. I guess I'll try some more trolling in the creek channels at 45 feet or so with cranks.

No i have not fished James yet, but will consider it.

Oh, one more thing. The TVA takes the lake down 70 feet in winter. Will the fish stay in the same locations but just move vertical?

My guess is they will move to better feeding locations. But the focus will still be the bait fish. Figure out where the shad are and you've got it made. And the shad will look for the warmest water with decent oxygen level they can find. That is creek arms in the fall/winter. Hit the points and humps at the mouth of the creek arm and move up the arm from there. 45ft might be way too deep this time of year unless the baitfish are hanging out at that depth. I actually spend most of my fall fishing in 7ft or shallower for big walleyes but that's where the baitfish are up here. This pattern holds for the Missouri River impoundments too so it ought to work on Fontana. Another trick - I troll at 2 to 3mph with crankbaits. You can really cover a lot of water that way. Once you contact fish you can focus on that spot. Walleyes will hit cranks at that speed in 40 degree water temps - good search tactic.

Thanks Mark. I have'nt been fishing for a month now and I am starting to Jones pretty bad. I need to go out and look for all the hung dipsy divers and baits now that the lake is down close to 60 ft.. My usual fishing partner spends 6 weeks in Florida and won't be back till Feb., and I do not want to be alone in cold windy weather on this lake. Anyway, I'll try the trolling at your recommended speeds to see if I can locate some eyes as soon as my partner comes back.