• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

96 ZRT 600 Arctic Cat problem

KidWalleye

Question

I'm not getting gas to the carbs. I think the fuel pump is bad. If I follow the lines the gas goes up to the shut off. It doesn't go further. Could that be the pump. I can do the work myself I'm trying to eliminate things. Any help is appreciated Kid

8 answers to this question

If you run the gas out at the end of the season, you probably just need to prime it a couple of times to get the gas flowing through the carbs again. Cats are bad about this.

Just pull your plugs and put a little gas in each jug and start it. I would try this a couple of times or so untill you see the gas pumping up into the carbs before doing anything drastic. Ron

Quote:

if this is common what do mechanics do? There has to be a cause for this. Do most people have the same problem? I just find it hard to believe that everyone that has the same sled has to do this every fall.

I have a Bearcat and have to do it every year. The fuel pump is only a diaphram in the carbs and when you run the gas out at the end of the season, you usually have to prime them to get gas back into the carbs so the diaphram can start working again.

My son had a 600 and we would have to prime that each season also. Ron

I don't have any solutions to fix your problem, but what we do with our Arctic Cats so that we don't have to deal with that every year is to just put Stabil in the last tank of the season and just ride it a few miles or more to get it run through everything and then just put it away. Next winter, the things fire right up. We do go through and clean the carbs every fall before we start them up. This should be a common practice anyway, since one chunk of junk in the jet is all it takes to burn down the motor.

Quote:

how many times do you have to do that. Also are you giving it gas at the same time. Or just pulling and letting it prime itself?

I use a cattle syringe and just inject some gas in each cylinder and put the plugs back in and start it up, you may have to do this a couple times to pull the gas into the carbs.

Like Steve said, you can also use stabil and leave the gas in the carbs and eliminate the need to prime it.

Alot of people leave the gas in and just start it up once a month during the off season. Ron

Have you pulled the fuel lines off the carbs and pulled it over to see if any fuel comes out of them? could it be that you have some water in the gas?

>Alot of people leave the gas in and just start it up once a month during the off season. Ron<

FYI, I did this threw the summer and heres my results.

I have had a problem with water in the gas each year on my Cat, so last spring when I put gas in for the last time I stableized the non oxy gas and added some isoprople thinking that in the event I had some condensation I'd be ok.

started the engine every month w/out problems, then in september it started, ran for less than a min. and bogged down and died. wouldnt restart. sounded like water in the gas again. I pulled a plug out and there was water on it, so I put it in the shop and tore down the carbs to see whats up, I dumped the gas in each bowl into a glass jar, it was no suprize that out of all the liquid in the jar, only about 1/10th of it was gas. so I hooked up a hose to the outlet on the tank and siphoned it out. the first 30sec of draining I put into a mayo jar to see how much more might be in the tank, out of all that liquid 2/3 was water in the jar.

where is all that comming from??

Ive filled up at many different gas stations, so I dont think I could pin it on that, and I know its not being poured in by anyone, so to me its got to be condensation.

dark green plastic tank, under a black cover, cool nights, hot days...?

Well I got it going last night. I wasn't getting gas to one of the carbs. My neighbor tapped on the card down by thebowls saw airbubbles then gas went down. Started on the fifth pull. the pressure just wasn't there. I'm going th throw some sea foam in there to clean up the needle and seat. And run it for a few minutes each day for a while. Thanks for the help.