• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what degree of offset?

Gus

I'm looking at buying a jig to fletch my arrows. I shoot a whisker biscuit rest and carbon arrows. What degree of offset could you recommend? Most common ones I see are 6,4,and 1 degree or straight. Some places call the 1 degree straight and recommend it for shoot through type rests? I assume the biscuit is considerd a shoot through type rest but please correct me if I am wrong. I'm pretty new to this sport.

Gus, I looked at the Carolina Archery Product web page... the company that makes the Wisker Biscuit archery rest. They didn't have anything listed as to flecthing. I myself have never shot a WB but am familiar with them. I would say that the more offset that you shoot the quicker you will need to refletch. But the more stability you will get out of your arrow. If it were me I would try and find a happy medium. I wouldn't go with no offset. I think some offset is nessisary to make up for any slight problems you may have in tuneing.

hopefully someone who fletches thier own arrows and has a WB will chime in and help you out.. Good luck!

I fletch my own arrows and shoot a wisker biscuit. I've have not found that the WB tears the fletch off the arrow regaurdless of how much offset you put on the fletch. I do keep me fletches fairly strait on my compound with the WB. So, if I were you I'd try a few 'strait' and a few with a small offset and see what shoots better. The best way to keep a fletching on the arrow is to put a dab of glue on the leading and trailing end of the fletch when you have finished putting all of the fletches on the arrow. I have the bitzenburger Dial-o-fletch with the right helical clamp and I like it, I just wish I had 11 more of them so I could do more arrows quicker. If you end up with the bitzenburger jig I could give you a few more pointers if you like.

I shoot the bisquit, do carbons and also fletch my own. I fletch mine straight, feathers and plastic. One thing of note is the wing feather...right or left. I use right wing feathers. Some people prefer the left wing thinking the natural turn in the feather helps carry the arrow off the bow better. I have tried both but cannot see much difference, yet prefer the right.

Regardless of what you shot , feather or vane, too much offset or too many degrees of twist will make for a noisy arrow. Too much spin will slow the arrow as well. With the bisquits and new drop-away rests I think that the amount of spin put on an arrow is becoming less important.

Have someone fletch up a couple arrows each of different degrees of angle and shoot them to see which do best. Try this with both feather and vanes. Sometimes the little things pay big dividends, but you have to invest in the time and the trials.