• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing for carp

Trouthunter

Hey, you beat me to the question!

From what I saw and heard about carp and ice last year... they tend to thin out the ice and actually make holes in it so they can gulp some air. Not sure if it's true or not.

I've never actually targeted carp, but over the last years of ice fishing we did hook into one. It was big...I mean huge. It looked lke it was at least 20 pounds through the hole. We had 10" holes, but there was just no way to pull it threw. It eventually broke the line. It made things eventfull for at least 10 minutes though. grin.gif

Trouthunter... nope, no WI license... yet. Might get a weekend license for an ice trip out there this winter. If we can have the carp contest on a Sunday, it would be awesome! Just make sure it's not too far into WI... I'd hate to have to drive overnight to get home for work on Monday morning.

I havent fished them through the ice before, but that's only because I didnt ice fish much before this year...well, i havent ice fished this year at all yet, but I am planning on trying a few carp missions, or more if successful. If you are interested drop me an email at bd (at) trouthunter (dot) net and we can plan a trip.

BD

Sign me up! I'd love to battle one of those brutes through the ice!

I didn't make it to the ice catfish gathering last year either, but I got a heavier pike rod I can spool with 8-10lb test.

I tried setting a tipup with corn on a pond around here that is swarmed with little carp (abot 4lbs each). With no sucess. I'd be more than willing to try with someone again.

Maybe I'll get some cats through the ice too this year! wink.gif One can only wait and see.

I see them all of the time when I am spearing for northerns and the funny thing is I see about 10 of them to every northern I see as well as suckers and dogfish. I also saw hundreds of them on my aqua view last year when I was fishiing walleyes on Lake Elysian here in So Minn. Nonne of them would bite my lure but I snagged one with my Jigging rap and HOLY %#!* I just about lost my rod and my aquaview so if you get one you should HOLD ON TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shallow water has always been better for me maybe 12ft up to 4ft of water is good and another thing that you should consider is to remeber those spots that you may have seen them surfacing in the summer because they will probably be around there. I know a buddy that gets them on jigging raps and they literally inhale that thing. He actually told me one time that he was jigging and had a carp hit his jigging rap when he was walleye fishing and he got that carp through a 7 inch hole and it turned out to be 26lbs. Now that is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I believed him because he has never lied to me before and he is one heck of a fisherman. Anyway I hope this helps and chisel a pretty good sized hole when you go. GOOD FISHIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys I just check in once or twice a week. Between work, and hunting, and fishing, and running a trapline, and my HSOforum, my surfing time is limited.

Anyway a 26 pounder through the ice is phenomenal!

I do know this - the carp school up very tightly in the winter. Commercial fishermen are able to surround schools with nets very easily during the winter. There is a new method where they implant a radio transmitter in a carp and then release it under the ice, then after a few days they pinpoint its location and surround it with nets - netting the entire school of carp in one go. That big school of carp keeps the water agitated and thins the ice, but it's not a problem unless you have a shallow marshy lake with a huge carp population. I'm not sure what depth or type of area would be best, but since they love warmer water I would think they wouldn't be extremely deep.

I caught one jigging on the horseshoe chain one winter its the only one i've ever caught through the ice but it was a blast, 17lb 15oz on a buddy's scale. I typically never weigh a fish, but carp are pretty tough critters. The thing came through real high like 4ft below the ice in 10ft of water. it didn't really hit hard, just sucked in the minnow head and treble then slowly started swimming away, when i felt tension it was on. it fought like mad on light line. The picture just looks odd holding a carp and ice rod on the snowy lake.

Ice fished em on Long Lake in New Brighton about 10 years ago we fished them during March with oatmeal dough balls just like we do in the open water. We caught three or four all in about 5 feet of water on a warm day. I'd be fun to target these beasts thru the ice and actually find a pattern that worked!

Quote:

be fun to target these beasts thru the ice and actually find a pattern that worked!

I was thinking this exact same thing all week! Project to work on each winter. Of course, I'll have to take some time out to catch the other fish also.