• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeper Stretch & Snatch Strap

Ronsay

Question

I am going to get a strap for this Winter and have a couple questions.

Do any of you use the Keeper straps, and if so, how do you like them?

I am thinking about getting the 3" x 30' to carry in the pickup. Do you think this is the correct size to handle most situations involving the icehouse or pickup getting stuck?

Ron

6 answers to this question

I don't know about the particular brand you mention, but I've had a strap for many years. "Don't leave home without one". The pull strap I have (yellow) is about 2-1/2" x 25' or so, I think it's rated to about 10,000 lbs., don't remember the brand but is good quality. It's handled anything from pulling cars/trucks to pulling down large trees that were hung up. Lots better than the chain I used to use, a lot less stress on your vehicle because of the stretch factor. I keep it in by 4x4 truck year round, you never know when you might need it. Well worth the money.

P.S. There have been a couple of times when I've had to add a chain for extra length, so if you're going to buy a strap I'd say the longer the better.

Ronsay: My brother has a KEEPER strap and its a tough one..Spendy I think though like $60 for 30' ?

I have a 15,000 rated Northern Tool strap ($25) which has never failed me, and my Dad has a "wheeler's" strap (off road certified straps)that is much like the Keeper's but a bit cheaper.

Keeper is a good brand of strap. 3"x30K lbs is very heavy duty. I had one for when I 4x4'd my 3/4 ton diesel. Make sure you get one with loop ends. Metal hooks do nothing but fly through the air and hurt (or kill) things that are in the way when something breaks loose.

I keep a 2"x20K strap and a 3"x30K strap in my SUV with a pair of clevises. You can pick them up at any farm store

I have also used Keeper straps and like them.

I am not an expert on the physics of the whole thing, but I don't think you want to heavy of a strap for what you are trying to do. The idea being is that you want the strap to streach some or to "load up" then when the object you are pulling out decides to come with, the streach of the strap adds pulling power. Kind of a rubber band effect.

I was a mechanic for a trucking company for about 10 years and when the snow hit hard and would drift up under the trailers we would hook a 4" wide keeper strap to a payloader and then to the truck and get a good run with the loader and the trucks would just about jump right out. It helps to be a little nuts. crazy.gifgrin.gif

arbuck

Quote:

I have also used Keeper straps and like them.

I am not an expert on the physics of the whole thing, but I don't think you want to heavy of a strap for what you are trying to do. The idea being is that you want the strap to streach some or to "load up" then when the object you are pulling out decides to come with, the streach of the strap adds pulling power. Kind of a rubber band effect.

I was a mechanic for a trucking company for about 10 years and when the snow hit hard and would drift up under the trailers we would hook a 4" wide keeper strap to a payloader and then to the truck and get a good run with the loader and the trucks would just about jump right out. It helps to be a little nuts.
crazy.gifgrin.gif

arbuck

Fleet has a 20' Keeper on sale right now, I believe it is 2" wide and has a vehicle weight of 7000# and breaking strength of 18,000#.

Maybe this would be adequit for my F-150 4x4, I just don't want to under buy.

Do you think this would be enough for most situations? If your putting that much pressure on a 4", I would think I could get by with the 2x20 strap.

Ron

I would say that the 2"x20' would be pleanty for what you will probibly do with it. If you were out playing in the mud that would be a little different story. Mud is a lot harder to pull out of. I keep 2" keepers in both mine and my wifes trucks and can't think of a time when I have ever needed more than that.

Also like Powerstroke said buy one with NO hooks. Hooks are good for killing people and that is about it. Plan ahead and make sure you have hook points in the front and back of your truck. A clevice through a reciver hitch makes a good hook point in the back and I don't know about the f-150's but my 3/4 ton Chev. has hooks in the front that you can hook to.

Reguardless any time you are pulling something with a strap, chain, rope, or whatever, it is dangerous. So be carefull

arbuck