• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nascar News

Sifty

Have you guy's noticed the lack of coverage by the media?

I'm wondering do you think that with Nextel taking over that they are not as good as Winston on putting out the news? Just my thoughts it seems like less coverage is taking place know. Just my two cents.

Thanks Sifty

I really have noticed how little coverage Nascar gets. I work lots of Saturdays yet really like to see highlights of the Busch series race and it is impossible to find. I have ended up getting cable with Speed channel and fx to get any decent coverage of Nascar. You actually can see a little coverage on ESPN of the Cup race but considering the large fan base of Nascar Espn isn't paying Nascar enough attention. I would think there are more interested fans of Nascar then for Tennis, WNBA, Golf and other lesser known sports that get alot of the medias attention.

Ya wanna know why ESPN dosen't give NASCAR the time of day? I'm going to guess you guys have only been watching this sport for 1-2 years.

Well, it went like this. Back in the day ESPN and TNN (now Spike) where the only (and I mean only) places to get any NASCAR news. They had fantastic in depth gear headed coverage. Then the sport started to get popular and the "young gun" crowd showed up. NASCAR got greedy and put the up to the highest bidder. Fox and TBS won rights by paying something like 50 million for a five year deal. I'm not exactly sure on those numbers but it's close. Since they paid so much for the rights they now don't let any other networks cover their golden goose, so to speak. In fact, Fox was in so deep they purchased Speedvision (now SPEEDTV) so they would have an avenue to hype the sport.

There is a little history lesson for ya, and that is why the reporters talk to you at a 4th grade level. How many times do you think you will hear "if your new to NASCAR" during the three races this weekend? Oh I think I'm gonna puke. It used to be WAY better.

How many of you guys that read this part of fishingmn have ever been to a dirt track before?

Fox/TBS gets the first half of the season, NBC/Speed the second half. You have different TV personalities with the change of networks. ESPN use to have great coverage too, if qualifying was delayed you always had ESPN2 to continue the coverage. NBC use to only cover 5 "big" races a year, and I recall one race, that was delayed for some reason and NBC cut to Golf with 10 laps to go! mad.gif

Oh the memories . . .

mnfishingguy, I've been a Nascar Fan for about ten years. My thoughts on the coverage should have been explained a little better. I was more asking if the Winston people where better at getting the news out then the Nextel people it really seem to me that you would have "blurb's" out during the week about different things that where going on. I have yet to be to a dirt track. But have been to may races at Sauk Centre and Elko.

Sifty

I get to a few local dirt tracks during the summer. Used to drive but it got pretty spendy and then get married and kids on top of that and the money gets really short. I miss the driving but not the time and money ya spend. Trying to talk the better half into a boat now!

Hey Sifty, so you remember what it used to be like eh'.Other than nascar.com or yahoo sports I can't think of another place for daily news.

If you like Sauk or Elko try to get out to Cedar Lake in Summerset next summer. It's worth the trip. Late models on dirt, it's the best.

It gets tough trying to manage fishing time with racing time with wife and kid time, and for me I only get out to the races about once a year now. Oh well.

also whowon.com and several other racing sites are available.

I know too what you are saying about "the good old days" but I actually the coverage is pretty good now. Yes there is a lot of too basic stuff for those of us who have been watching forever, but there is so much more covered now than there ever was before. I did really like old Eli Gold as a race broadcaster though...

As for dirttracks, me and my USRA hobby stock car go there every Friday all summer long, but this is going to be my last year. Its gotten too spendy and its taking too much time away from other activities.

Like just about every big sport with a "following", it all comes down to $$$.NASCAR has followed the $$$, and the fans respond,filling the stands,selling out events years in advance. I'm old school when it comes to dirt tracks, but I like some things NASCAR is trying. This current points format is definately do or die, which is how the fan wants it. Watching dirt track racing these days is cool, but not what it used to be. Does anyone remember the old Blaine half mile dirt track? How about the high bank half mile at West Fargo? That was some exciting racing. Or how about some of the names. There were lots of hotshots who could sling the dirt. Memories!!Minnesota had some of the best dirt racing tracks in the upper midwest.