• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Indoor / Area Propane Heaters ??

Question

Has anyone used any of the indoor propane space heaters that you can buy at like gander mountain?? I just bought one but never used one. Its suppose to be indoor safe but how's it suppose to be safe when it uses the regular 16oz disposable propane tanks?? confused.gif

Am i taking a chance by placing one of those in my tent this week-end when I go out deer hunting? confused.gif

7 answers to this question

That’s a tough call in a tent. There needs to be adequate ventilation so you do not gas yourself with carbon monoxide. Also, what happens if you knock it over? Is it a nylon tent? They would go up pretty quickly if the caught fire. If it is a canvas tent you might have time to get out if there was a fire.

I was checking out the Buddy heaters the other day and I believe it said something on the back of the box about NOT leaving the heater on in a tent while you sleep. I believe it's more of a ventilation/oxygen issue than a CO problem. I do believe these heaters have a low oxygen shutoff that will turn off the propane if the levels get too low, I'm not sure I would trust it though.

I've seen my friend use one when we went up a couple of weeks ago and they were fine. I guess I will read it more carefully before I put it up. I just wanted to know if anyone else have had experience with these or not.

I don;t know if its a nylon tent or not. It wasn;t a very expensive tent. IT was only like 60 bucks.

Quote:

Also, what happens if you knock it over? Is it a nylon tent? They would go up pretty quickly if the caught fire. If it is a canvas tent you might have time to get out if there was a fire.

I will be using a newly purchased coleman black cat with 1lb disposable propane in our camper this weekend too. I will keep a couple of windows open and bring the CO2 detector. I think it will work just fine just as long as the camper isn't shut up tight. I will keep a few windows cracked.

Muskieguy....