• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grousing tommorrow...

Hey I'm thinking of skipping pheasant hunting tommorrow due to all the rain and possibly going grouse hunting instead. Anyone have any suggestions on where to try? You don't have to post here but PM me or email me at clark dot koenen at thomson dot com. Thanks.

gspman

Try the savanna state forest near mcgrath or solena state forest near mcgregor. They are off of Hwy 65. If you hunt the federal wild life production up there you better have steel shot (even though you are hunting grouse).$125.00 dollar fine for lead on WPA, you don't even have to pull the trigger, just have it in possession.

HUNTINGBAILEY,

Just to clarify, Solana is just north or McGrath and Savannah is just north of McGregor? If one was going to hunt Savannah, do you suggest going North on 65 past the turn off to the state park or do you go in the direction of the state park? How much of that area is WPA?

IN THE STATE FOREST ARE THERE A ALOT OF ROADS & LOGGING TRAILS THAT GO THRU THE WOODS, BASICALLY PICK AN AREA AND EXPLORE. AS FOR AS THE WPA,IT IS ACTUALLY (RICE LAKE WILDLIFE REFUGE)(HERE YOU WILL NEED STEEL SHOT)IT ISN'T LOCATED IN THE STATE FORESTS, IT IS BASICALLY IN BETWEEN SOLENA & SAVANNAH, OFF OF HWY 65. OPEN TO PUBLIC HUNTING.

GOODLUCK

I know exactly where you're talking about. Thanks for the info. I'm heading up in the morning and plan on doing a little trail walking sometime throughout the day. I have to get some work done around the property, but after that it's all about the grouse.

Looking at giving it a try between Akley and Motley. any input or advice on Lyon's, Foothills, Huntersville or Badoura state forests. Have not seen much for reports from this area. What type of cover should a beginner look for. Food sources?

thank you.

Fodd right now = clover, berries, any catkins around, which aren't many. Hunt trails that have clover or berries next to or on them. The grouse eat what's in the woods first, that's deminishing quick, and they come to the trails this time of year to get what's available there. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I ended up going to Paul Bunyan State Forest. Quite a drive. The last place I hunted was the honey hole. Moved 4-5 grouse and 1 woodcock in about 1.5 hrs. Moved another woodcock earlier in the day too. I will definitely keep your other suggestions in mind for next time.

Has anyone had succeess aroung the Hinckley area? I have seen some spots that look good but never gave it a try. I think there are some State Forests and public land just outside of Hinckley. What do you all think?