• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stay N Charge "isolator"

Tahoe2349

Question

Jim Payne or anyone else familiar with installing a "isolator" to the Stay N Charge systems ?

Myself and four others have installed this system on our fish houses... Three guys want a "isolator" to elliminate

the unhook and battery discharge on the trucks !!

Where to buy, and where/how to install info greatly appreciated..

11 answers to this question

Hey Tahoe any auto parts store has isolaters But it is much cheaper to just put a toggle switch on the batteries that are being charged. They can put them in line on the negative side of the wire or they can just put a small battery clamp on the negative side of the battery inside the house.

Jim:

It sounds like all that needs to be done is a curcuit break on the "negative" side with a toggle or isolator just prior to the house batteries ?? am I correct??

So if I ran "your" negative thru a "toggle" switch on my battery compartment wall, prior to battery connection I'd be set ??

What problems are there or issues if any after hook up of a switch of such ?

If the truck is running "MUST" the switch be ON Jim to avoid alternator damage, or does the position of the switch with truck running make no difference ?

Thanks in advance wink.gif

Tahoe if you use a on and of switch the switch will be off when the truck is not running and on when truck is running to charge the batteries in the ice house. The switch is just so the batteries in the house will not drain the battery in the truck when truck is not running. I hope this makes since

Thanks Jim,

I bought a simple switch box at Menards with a nice house switch. Spliced in to the negative side about a foot from the batteries and mounted on the wall inside my battery compartment.

Just wanted your feed back before I fired it up smile.gif

I guess I can stop bugging you now lol

Well there has been a "rush" on your product with people around me the past week. My Boss actually got one as well.

He said he ran a 18" "pigtail" off his NEGATIVE POST and just will unplug it from your negative line ... I guess that was a simple fix as well.

I like things more conceilled and only one set of lines to my batteries as I have a terminal block everything is fed into.. smile.gif

Really had no idea how to check the switches operation after hook up !!

So I had it in the "off" position and had my son fire up the truck and my "voltage meter" did nothing... I flicked the switch on quick and it started to climb "instantly...

Hopefully I'm set now.. just self training to turn the swith OFF after truck shut down & ON when its charging !!

I've filled my annual quota for "electrical efforts" here so I hope I'm good to go..lol