• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Ranger

ironranger420

My parents own a Polaris 4x4 Ranger. This is their second one. They had the 6x6 and loved it, but bought the 4x4 version last year and have had great success with it. Now, that being said......Houston, we have a problem! Last week they started to notice a problem. On this machine you have to press the brake pedal down before you can turn the ignition key for starting. Let me re-phrase that, you can turn the key without the brake down, but nothing happens, you have to press the brake down if you want to start it. Now, here's the problem: just recently when the machine is in gear (high or low range) and you press the brake while driving, the ignition kicks in. What I mean is, you can hear the machine trying to start/turnover, even though the machine is already running, by pressing the brake. We were laughing when we heard it happen. We couldn't believe the machine was trying to start, (even though it was already running), just by pressing the brake down. It doesn't happen when the machine is off. wink.gif It would be a pretty cool magic trick if it did though! So what would be causing this? Is it an electical thing. Are wires exposed and touching each other that shouldn't be? If so, why doesn't the machine try to start itself when we press the brake down and the machine isn't running? It only trys to turnover and start itself when the machine is already running? Any help would be appreciated! I would hate to bring it in to the dealer if it is something simple I could do myself. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!

I'm tempted to say it's in your ignition switch but not doing it when it is NOT running is throwing a loop in it for me. It appears the brake switch is doing its job. Is the ignition key switch returning to the "run" mode after you start it?

When you say it doesn't do it when it is not running, are you saying that the key ignition is totally off as well? If you place the key switch in just the run position and hit the brake, does it try to start?

Thanks Dave! I think you're right, the ingnition switch may just be worn out and time to be replaced. The switch is sticking a little bit. The machine is used at a resort all summer, and probably gets turned on and off at least 30 times each day. The ignition switch probably has 10 years of use on it, even though it's only 2 years old.

After you start it, manually make sure the key 'moves back" into the run mode, rather than the full start mode. See if that helps. Replacing should be a plug and play operation. if I remember correctly.