• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clear Lake 'eyes

I hear the eyes are starting to pick up at hsolist. I am planning to head up there this weekend and was wondering where I should head. I am not asking for GPS coordinates, just a general idea of the area. Heard they did well around Billys this past week. Did well the last time I was there a couple weekends ago. Or should I hit the west end, or the deep holes, or?? ANy help would be great. And of course if you want to give me some GPS #s I would be muchly appreciative smile.gif

goody

I can't say how they are biting as I have not been out for almost a week. If you are planning to fish by Billy's be very cautious, I just drove around the Lake and there is open water from the seawall all the way south to near Billy's with a few patches of open water on Billy's frown.gif . It will probably be re-frozen by this week-end so I would be checking ice thickness every few yards or better yet avoid the area completely. There is also a lot of open water by the island. Safest spots are probably by Farmers Beach or the Harborage.

Well goody, I don't think I'll be pulling the Otter with the ATV this weekend up there if there are holes around billy's reef. And I might be switching locations as well if the ice is as bad as brewman say's. I will probably still try to get out to Billy's this weekend. I guess we will see.

Bad News - I just talked to the Dome Bait and tackle and he told me that the lake has been torn up by the warm weather and the 50 mph winds they had up there today. He said there were 3 houses that went through the ice today. Doesn't look too good for the weekend. Actually the bait shop told me to forget it for a week or so, said it was way too dangerous to be out there. They are forecasting the high winds through tonight and into tomorrow. I asked him about the ice on the west end around the narrows and he said that it had opened up as well! I might have to pick a different spot for this weekend, maybe the Spirit Lake area? Goody, let me know if you get any other reports. I did try to call the other bait shop but I must have missed them. Anyway, I can't believe this weather. Absolutely ridiculous!

I fished lake view (blackhawk lake)on 1-1-03 and saturday1-4-03 and it had 4-7" of ice where we fished with some open spots still on the lake.Fishing was fair at best,we were trying for walleye and crappie and ended up wit 10 nice cats and a dink 7"eye.Fished all day with morning bite being the best and slowed by noon.we left and went to a pit and caught a bunch of small gills but nothing keepable.went back to the lake about 3:30 for night bite but only had a couple of nudges with none being caught.The vex showed alot but no takers.I live 30 miles from there so I dont know what the warm weather did to it this week.I know that you and tony were trying to get something togeather for this weekend but I havent heard any other good reports.good luck cal
P.S. there is a lenght limit for walleye on this lake!I wont be able to make it out again till sunday and dont know where I'll go yet!still looking!
cal

[This message has been edited by cal (edited 01-10-2003).]

We fished both gunshot and icehouse point and the cat cam off ice house.The bite cam between 9:30-11:30am then shut down.the vex showed lots of fish but they were just lookers.the blue gills came from the pits south of lake view.I havent been back to black hawk since my post because I found a farm pond thats doing better with lots of nice crappie and gills,but sorry i cant share that spot.Other than the 9:30-11:30 bite on black hawk when you could only safely fish one rod(ie. one pole pulled in but recovered with cat still on!)fishing wasnt very good there the rest of the day.But the pits to the south of town helped.Good luck if you go and please keep me informed.Maybe I will see you there!cal

------------------
cal

orngrufee
I see your from carroll!send me a private message and maybe we can share a little more info!
[email protected]
put fishing in the subject box or it might get deleated by accident!

------------------
cal

[This message has been edited by cal (edited 01-16-2003).]