• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp Fishing

czl99

I went down to the river today to try some carp fishing because the water was to high to fish for anything else. I fihed for about three hours and never caught one carp. I did however catch about 40 sheephead and one channel cat. Are the carp not in the same areas that the sheephead are in? When the water gets high do the carp go into slack water areas or do they move into the current to feed?

------------------
Fishing isn't everything it's the only thing.

Where were you fishing? Usually the carp don't mind if there is sheephead around. What were you using for bait? Try using whole kernel corn. Thats all I use for carp and they go crazy over it. It also helps keep the sheephead a and little channel cats off your line. They usually don't bite on that but occasionally you may get a sheephead or two.

I was fishing the cannon river by cannon falls. I was using night crawlers.

------------------

ya corn or a doughbait would be good for carp and to keep sheephead off the hook. slack water or the very edge of it seems to hold many carp, look for a place where the bank dips in and the water circles around, this concentrates the food sources, cast around the edge where it meets the current with a smaller weight, 1/2 ounce usually works good for most situations but up to and ounce is sometimes needed. when using corn and doughbaits i use a number 2 hook and when i use dough i wrap a pen spring around the shank to keep the dough on better. if the water is pretty slow moving you can use a slip bobber that is rigged about 8 inches to deep for the water you are fishing, use splitshots 9-12 in. up the line to keep the bobber floating upright and the bait to drag on the bottom.

riverrat,

Thanks for the help. I will give your corn and boober advice a try next time.

------------------