• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gar anyone?

We talked about them back earlier this spring...wondering if anyone as chased them yet. The idea sounds sweet to me...just wondering where I should start.

SHORTNOSE GAR, ARE ONE OF MY FAVORITE FISH TO TARGET IN THE SUMMER. I HAVE CAUGHT THEM ON THE MN RIVER QUITE OFTEN. I HAVE HAD THE MOST SUCCESS AT NIGHT WHEN THE RIVER IS LOWER. I USE A SMALL PIECE OF CUT BAIT AND A SHARP HOOK. I ALSO USE A LEADER AND AN EGG SINKER. AT NIGHT I THROW THIS COMBINATION INTO SLACK WATER WITH NO CURRENT(THE GAR TEND TO GATHER IN THESE AREAS). IF THEY ARE THERE IT DOESN'T TAKE LONG FOR THEM TO TAKE THE BAIT. LESS THAN HALF OF THE GAR I HAVE CAUGHT WEREN'T ACTUALLY HOOKED. THEY HAVE A VERY BONEY MOUTH WHICH TAKES A LOT TO PENETRATE EVEN WITH A SHARP HOOK. I USALLY FEEL FOR THE WEIGHT OF THE FISH AND SLOWLY REEL IN. WHEN THE GAR GETS CLOSE TO SHORE I "FLING" THEM UP ON LAND. I HAVE TRIED SETTING THE HOOK, BUT LIKE I SAID, I'VE PROBABLY HAD A 20% HOOK RATE OF DOING IT THAT WAY. ALSO IF YOU FIND A SCHOOL OF GAR AT NIGHT TRY SHINING A FLASHLIGHT INTO THE WATER. PRETTY COOL SIGHT! LOOKS LIKE A BUNCH OF SNAKES TOWARDS THE SURFACE SWIMMING AROUND. ONE LAST THING. IF YOU DO CATCH ONE, BE VERY CAREFULL OF THEIR MOUTHS. THEY ARE LINED WITH SHARP,VERY SHARP, TEETH. HOPE THIS INFO HELPS. GOOD LUCK!

------------------

<*))))))))><{

For the longnose gar I usually go after them in the middle of the summer on hot muggy nights. They lay up next to shore on the St. Croix to trap emerald shiners and gizzard shad. They will spook easily when they are this shallow. I've only gotten them on live shiners so far - never have had the flyrod along. I use a small round bronze hook below the shiner's anal fin. I fish a night-bobber with six feet of line in two feet of water. The gar takes the bait, swallows it, and then the bobber begins to move. Give him time. You'll hook him in the soft part of the beak. No 50 incher for me (yet). This is going to be my year.

The St. Croix huh? Where abouts? I love night fishing for anything...it's an entirely different animal. Let me know when your planning a trip...if ya dont mind..maybe I'll tag along. Looking to add gar to my list of fish caught.