• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp question

I moved into a new house last year that has a pretty small pond in the back yard. Their is no rivers or anything that flows into this pond. It also seemed pretty shallow, but I am not exactl sure how shallow. I assumed that no fish live in these waters, until this spring I noticed the pond is loaded with carp. I have seen some carp in the 6-8 pound range, but lots of small fish. Where do you think these carp came from? I live within 2 miles of the Mississippi.I was told that birds can transport fish from water to water. I could also assume that kids threw some river carp in the water. How big do you think these carp will get? If carp can live in this pond do you think Catfish would also survive if I stocked them?

Carp in ponds tend to stay pretty small. There isn't enough food for them to grow very big. Usually they don't get over 4 pounds so your pond is exceptional if it's producing 6-8 pounders. But then again a 50 pound sack of feed corn is only $5 at Fleet Farm ... good carp food! Not sure about the cats, but they would probably live although they might not spawn. Bullheads would thrive in there.

Oops forgot about your main question. Where they came from. A lot of ponds have a drainage outlet, sometimes not very obvious, that small fish can ascend in high water. But they could've been illegally stocked there if there is no culvert or drain. Birds can transport fish eggs but it's rare for that to happen, as far as I can tell.

Just another thought as to how they may have gotten in there. My sister has a pond in her back yard also and to keep it clean they had a company stock it with carp. These carp sterile so if they should get out no harm would be done. They do not grow very fast and have been in the pond now for about 8 years.

shorefisher