• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WI access private property through MFL timber co land?

I am thinking about buying some hunting land in the not to distant future and found a parcel in WI that I like but is only accessible by a road that runs across timber company land which is enrolled in the MFL program. Does anyone see any potential problems with a parcel that is situated like this? Does the timber company have to allow use of their road? Is an easement needed or is the timber co even allowed to sell an easement since it is enrolled in MFL? Any input that anyone has regarding a setup like this is much appreciated!

MFL does not have to allow vehicular traffic. No way do I buy land in WI or anywhere without a legal, documented access easement. Actually, I wouldn't buy land with an easement either, but that's just because I've had some bad experiences with them. When I was looking at acreage to buy here, access easements were automatic dis-qualifiers. Good luck

What could possibly be wrong with a legally recorded easement titled for land I have 4 and have never had a problem coming and going as I see fit. Have properties on road frontage also and enter them the same . Legally titled and recorded any easement is the same as any other ,any impediment is a property rights issue and easily solved local police will enforce .

I concour. Very large tracts of mfl changed ownership by my cabin in NW Wisconsin new Co gated everything to walk in only road systems that semi logging trucks used into 8 to 9000 acres bordered many square miles of roadless public land. They closed all atv trails that crossed their many properties. Causing some trails to be closed. What if you new property is surrounded by this companies land do you trust them to give you keys to their gates? There are a ton of angry hunters they chose to put gates up on many parcels 2 days before rifle season. Imagine how you would feel after driving 5 miles into woods scouting picking stand locations etc on Sunday before season then show next sat to gates berms and boulders. Landlocked land not a good idea I am sure honoring a agreement with previous owner owner and you would be on there mind when gating.NOT

What could possibly be wrong with a legally recorded easement titled for land I have 4 and have never had a problem coming and going as I see fit. Have properties on road frontage also and enter them the same . Legally titled and recorded any easement is the same as any other ,any impediment is a property rights issue and easily solved local police will enforce .

You already answered it..."property rights issue and easily solved local police will enforce". I have zero interest in having any property rights issues or having to involve the local police to enforce them.

My land, my driveway/access on my land...zero problems. My land with my access across your land...possible problem. I don't play well with others when it comes to property.

I don't play at all , and if some one wants to play then I will get what I have a right to . Example adjacent landowner gets in my face and is unreasonable and will not conduct himself civil then a restraining order is coming and the next time he can sit in jail . That shuts them up real quik lots of paper tigers in the world all of them are loud and talk big but use a cell phone and record and they might even be gone longer than three days. I will not back down if im in the right if fact to tell the truth I kind of enjoy the process and have been thru it several times they are all bluffing, haven't been shot yet and am not afraid of that either. Some of the best lands have issues and when they are cleared up it makes the land worth more right away instant equity as they usually can be bought cheap because of easement .

Sounds like you seek out and enjoy conflict...more power to you. I prefer to live a peaceful life with as few problems (especially those I make for myself) as possible.

You're you...I'm me. The world's a better place because of differences.

In all instances the parties that have had problems with me entering my lands legally and have been corrected in their thinking , never have I approached an adjacent landowner to start conflict they all ways come to me. I don't see for me as a big issue, granted given a choice of road or easement I would choose the road but some of the best deals have issues if I buy more land in this area I would not shy away from landlocked easement type lands. Everything I have achieved in life has been a battle and is just part of life . Certainly my perspective a good lawyer and time can solve most problems with land,, and by the time you add up costs it is usually a deal. So to the OP if the land suits you and there is an easement you have a few options.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the input guys. I am not much for confrontation so a legal access is probably in my best interest or at the very least an easement. A hunting cabin/land for me is a place to go get away from the stress of everyday life. Not a place to go bicker and fight with the neighbors.