• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Burying a pet in winter

Bobby Bass

OK this may be a different kind of question looking for an answer. Unfortunately I need in about a week to bury a family pet that is going to be laid to rest. My problem is my ground is still frozen. Has anyone found a way of thawing out the ground so a grave can be dug? I have had a couple of thoughts offered so far from using a torpedo heater to thaw out the ground. Burning charcoal over the digging area to just renting a air hammer and digging it out. Looking for any and all ideas, thanks

Bobby,

I had just read your lakeiwantobethere post. Sorry to you and your daughter.

I had ants in my pants one Spring to put in a new flagpole I was going to anchor with concrete. I was new to how to thaw the ground and went with charcoal and put the top of my Weber grill over the burning coals. I had to do it in 2-3 stages. Burned and then dug, and in the part I dug I burned and then dug again. It does work but obviously you'd need to figure out how to cover the charcoal because it's a bigger area than what I was working on. Obviously you're digging something much more sacred than I was and it may be a bit of a burden to do in stages especially if there is any chance your daughter would see it while the dog is still with us.

I hope I chose the right words in attempting to answer your post. I have a feeling your buddy's up there will have some other ideas that may work better.

Bobby,

Sorry for your loss, putting a family pet to rest is a very hard thing to do, I feel your pain.

What I have done in the past is to get a 55 gallon metal drum and cut it in half the long way. Lay the two sections on the ground (round parts up) then drill about 10 1 inche holes in each. Take the to pices to the area you need to dig along with lots of dry firewood. Build a fire and after is going good lay the two sections of drum over the fire. The drums will drive the heat down into the ground and will pull about two feet of frost in 12 hours. Remove the drums dig down till you hit frost and repeat with another fire. Someone will need to tend the fire (add wood) and you will get the best results from Oak firewood. Again, sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the ideas, There might be some confusion here as in the time line. The dog has not yet passed but the daughter will be putting him down in the very near future. Ground is still frozen here but it is raining and looks to be for the next few days. When it stops I will try the charcoal and metal cover to get us deep enough.