• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Itunes converting app for Android

I have a I pod and a I phone but now have a new tablet and I'm wondering how do I get my itunes on to a android supported tablet. Now I have Google Play and Samsung apps instead of Itunes would like to find a good app to transfer these music files over

Thanks

Ryan

The problem is that the Ipod has a built in hard drive that is used to store the music. The tablet does not have a hard drive and has limiited storage in comparison. So you won't be able to store very many songs on the tablet.

I've never tried streaming to/from a tablet so I can't help you there. I stream from my droid based phone from google play almost daily. But that is not a tablet.

The tablet absolutely has memory to store music. No different than an iPod.

I was in the same boat with iTunes/iPod before I got an Android phone and later an Android tablet. The solution: Google Music. Google Music is the Android version of iTunes.

The first thing you need to do is move your music from your PC/iTunes to the "Cloud". Download Google Music to your PC and use the program to move the music that is on your PC to the Cloud. (I had a ton of songs on iTunes/iPod and it took over a day of uploading before it was completed.) Once that is done you've cut the chains and are free from iTunes for good.

At this point you can stream your music to your Android phone or tablet using the Google Music app which you can download from Google Play (app store). You can also listen using your PC by just going to the Google Music HSOforum.

If you're in an area that doesn't have cell service or WIFI you can still listen to your music by using the Google Music app to move music from the Cloud directly to your phone/tablet and store it in its memory. When you click on an album using Google Music on your tablet you'll see small pushpin icon which you can use to download the music to your tablet's memory. This method is a good way to prevent eating up your data plan rather than streaming via your cell service.

To then play directly from your tablet's memory instead of streaming, open up the Google Music app, click on "My Library", and then select "On Device" which then plays the music you've previously downloaded in the steps mentioned in the paragraph above. Obviously the amount of music you can download directly to your tablet will be limited by the memory size in your tablet, but if it's a Samsung I'd guess you have 16, 32, or maybe even 64GB?

It works pretty slick and I use it quite a bit.

Do you have to click on each song/album separately, or can you do a bunch at once?

I wish you could "pushpin" song by song, but I've only seen where you can do it by album. It'd be nice to make a playlist of favorite songs by artist 'XYZ' by picking the best off each of their albums but I haven't found a way to do that.

Other than that there is no way to do a group of albums that I know of, which is fine because I only moved the ones I wanted onto my phone and/or tablet and not my entire music library.

edit: I think I just determined that you can save a "playlist" to your phone just like an album using the Pushpin function. That would solve the issue I mentioned above where you have to save entire albums instead of individual songs because you can create individual Playlists in which you can place whatever songs you want. So, I could create a playlist for artist 'XYZ' and then put the songs I want into that playlist, then pushpin that playlist to save it to my device.

The nice thing about all of this is that you can do it on your PC which is obviously easier to navigate with than a phone or tablet.

The tablet absolutely has memory to store music. No different than an iPod.

Obviously the amount of music you can download directly to your tablet will be limited by the memory size in your tablet, but if it's a Samsung I'd guess you have 16, 32, or maybe even 64GB?

I forget that I am not the typical user. I like to have all of my music available at all times and don't create playlists. I don't know what I might want to listen to from one hour to the next so I want to have it all at my finger tips.

On random play I prefer to be surprised and don't create playlists. They take away from the surprise. A playlist that puts Ella Fitzgerald followed by Eminem's you make me puke isn't random. Makes me laugh when stuff like that happens randomly.

My library is over 60GB of mp3's. All of which I own on CD or LP as backups. Well, almost all. I downloaded two albums from HDTracks a Tom Waits and Daft Punk so I don't have physical backup for everything.

The point is, I forget that most people could probably get by with music on a chip.