• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used a new float this weekend

I used a Thill wobble bobber this last weekend up in the Grand Marais area and it helped me put the smack down on the walleyes and smallmouth bass. If you don't know about this product it is a weighted bobber in sizes from a 1/16th up to 1/2 oz and you match your jig to the bobber size. I was using a 1/8ths and with an 1/8 oz lead headed jig in chartreuse tipped with a leech. I was fishing in less then 4 feet of water and had my bobber stop set at 2 feet down so I did not hang up in the rocks. Seeing no split shot was needed I did not get tangled up when I tossed my setup out, but my dad and uncle kept getting the tangle when casting out because the jig would come back wrap around the normal bobbers. I was able to cast out farther than my dad and uncle and that was part of the key to my success. They did catch some fish with normal floats but I out fished them 6 to 1 because I could get out farther with the nice on shore breeze we had. Lots of walleyes in the 10-17 inch range with a few bigger ones mixed in. Biggest walleye landed for us was a 19.5 incher and biggest bass that taped out at 20.25 inches which I released in hopes some kid that stays at the campground on the lake catches it later this year.

The only draw backs to this bobber was when I was panfishing earlier this spring with the 1/16th oz it made a big splash which spooked some of the fish in the shallow water. Also if you were fishing deeper water with smaller jigs it would take a while to get the bobber stop to the bobber.

I saw the ad in the paper - looked interesting. I can imagine they do have a big splash down due to the shape.

I'm sure I'll pick up a few at some point. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your catching. smile

I watched the Vid on Youtube about them very interesting and I will be picking a few up myself. I also like those plastic hollow/water fill bobbers for panfish . They are the ones with the surgical tubing down the middle and you twist them to set you depth and you can add a bit of water to get longer casts, they make them in a few different colors and clear so they don't spook the fish as easily too.