• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weed N Feed or alternatives

fishfinder72

I generally us the bagged stuff when weeds are actively growing. Apply it in the morning when the grass is dewy so the stuff sticks to the leafs...make sure there is no rain for like 2-3 days after. You don't want weed and feed to soak in right away like regular fertilizer because the pellets that stick to the broadleaf's is what kills it. Also, make sure you wait a couple days if you just mowed...you want the leafs to come back and be full so they catch the pellets and stick. You follow that and your success rate will be good on killing them. You can apply again in 5-6 weeks if you need to. Otherwise just spot spray is what I do.

JP

I generally us the bagged stuff when weeds are actively growing. Apply it in the morning when the grass is dewy so the stuff sticks to the leafs...make sure there is no rain for like 2-3 days after. You don't want weed and feed to soak in right away like regular fertilizer because the pellets that stick to the broadleaf's is what kills it. Also, make sure you wait a couple days if you just mowed...you want the leafs to come back and be full so they catch the pellets and stick. You follow that and your success rate will be good on killing them. You can apply again in 5-6 weeks if you need to. Otherwise just spot spray is what I do.

JP

This is the way it works if you use bagged weed-n-feed.

For best / easiest results, get yourself a bottle of a quality weed killer (not roundup) but a quality broadleaf weed killer.

Then you can fertilize like normal and spray the weeds as you see them.

Just get a weed killer that connects to your hose and then go crazy. If it doesn't get the pesky weeds that try to come back. Hit them again in a couple of weeks. This is what works best for me.

I stick to the recommendations on the back of the bag and apply every 6-8 weeks. This is the bagged stuff from the big box store. Your best bet is to leave the grass longer (3") and let it fill in. Just my opinion here, but if you have some bare spots or need to rejuv your lawn, I would look at over seeding this fall with aeration mixed in. Slap some starter fertilizer down and some water and your lawn will look 10X better next spring. I am now lawn expert so take it for what its worth...

JP