• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help! Down rigger question

Not sure if this is the place to ask this but I have a question regarding rigging my boat up with down riggers. I have an 18ft Alumnacraft Tournament Pro with a 175 Merc on i t. I am getting tired of the same old walleye fishing I do and want to start fishing some bigger lakes primarily for lake trout. I have jigged them before but after watching a few videos I am interested in trolling. I guess any info/help would be appreciated as I don't even know where to start. I am looking for info on setting up my boat with something removable that won't empty my wallet. Do I need electric down riggers or will manual be sufficient? How many do i need? Where can I find used ones? Stuff like that! Thanks for any help!

I have a Scotty 1085 manual downrigger. It is a handcrank model which is fine for me since I rarely fish the cannon ball deeper than 40 feet. I like that it has a rod holder on the unit. a depth counter, and cranks two feet of cable per turn of the crank. I have used it for rainbow trout with success and for walleyes with so-so success. The one thing I learned from transferring it from my first boat to the boat I currently own is to leave a space between the 'rigger mount and the transom so you have a place to wedge the cannon ball into so it won't roll around while you are running to the next spot. I actually found the thing cheap and got into it for less than a hundred bucks including a 4lb cannon ball (purchased separately). The locking tilt up mount is nice to have so you don't catch the arm on a dock while at the landing. if you go to Scotty's HSOforum, they have a section called Fishing Tips and Techniques that has a section on how to choose the right downrigger for your boat.