• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remington Model 510 Targetmaster .22

MN BassFisher

I was at my parent's house last week and was going through my Dad's rifles and shotguns. We found a gun he didn't even know he had, it was a Remington Model 510 Targetmaster, it's an old .22 single bolt action rifle. It appears to shoot 3 different types of ammo - .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle. It looks like an older gun that was made to be an affordable small game rifle back in the 40's and 50's. That's about all I know about it, does anyone have any experience with this rifle? Or any more info on it's history, didn't appear to be too much on the internet about it. Thanks guys! I look forward to taking this rifle to the range.

Not a ton to be told about it.

Manufactured from 1939 through 1962, the Model 510 Target Master is a solid, tack-driving target and plinking rifle. Ideal for young marksmen, the 510 is prized for its quality, accuracy, and balance. The Model 510 accepts .22 short, long, long rifle, and long rifle shot cartridge ammo, making it simple and inexpensive to get out on the firing range or into the woods. This rifle features an oil-finished walnut stock, a 25-inch blued barrel, and a right-side bolt safety.

Overview:

Description: Bolt Action

Introduction Year: 1939

Year Discontinued: 1962

Total Production: Approximately: 558,686

Designer/Inventor: Research & Development

Action Type: Bolt Action

Caliber/Gauge: .22 short, .22 long, .22 long rifle

.22 long rifle shot cartridges (510SB smooth bore)

Serial Number Blocks: Starting: N/A

Ending: N/A

# of Grades Offered: 510A Standard, 510P, 510X

Variations: 510SB Smooth bore barrel

510 Skeetrap--smooth bore barrel, muzzle piece marked "22Skeetrap"

510 Carbine

510 Routledge bored

Going price is about $200 right now.

Thanks for the help and tips guys, I did find the date code and was able to figure out it was manufactured in May of 1941 shocked And we're pretty positive it was handed to my dad when my Mother's dad passed away. Not sure the last time it was shot or cleaned, so I will be putting a few rounds through it this weekend and plan to take it apart and clean it next week. The wood is actually in pretty good condition, the trigger guard must have broken off because there is a home made guard on there now. Is there anything I could do myself to clean the steel up a little bit?

Clean bore BEFORE you shoot it please. Save yourself some grief later. And don't go overboard with the cleaning of exterior until you get somebody to take a look at it to determine whether it is pitting rust, llight surface dirt or serious stuff.

Nice old, simple and strong .22. Lots of years of life left.

Have fun.